Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried teh OEM Premium Speaker Upgrade? I bought some nice alpines but they dont match (even though best buy computer said they would) but the holes dont line up. its for my wife's forester (yes, i have one too just much faster!) so she refuses to let me drill holes.

just looking to see if i can get some for the right price if it is worth the upgrade?

any experience out there?

·
Registered
2004 XT
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also...

also, anyone know if the speakers are the same for the impreza? they sell them cheaper on ebay. part numbers are different but i figured that they both might fit???

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
I used the Impreza Speakers....6.5" in the front...4" in the rear IIRC. Did that 2 yrs ago. I 'gutted' the factory standard speakers just so I could use the frames as mounts. Unlike MY02 Forester, these mounted differently.
Just before Thanksgiving, I also helped a neighbor with an 03X put in the 'factory upgraded speakers' (he got them from Ebay). They were easy, being they were ready to be screwed right in with the proper connectors. I had to solder wires from the factory connector left in the frame to the Impreza speaker terminals.
When all completed, I think my Impreza upgraded speakers sound better. I can tell you, the rears from the Impreza upgrade were a much better speaker than the 03 Forester upgrade.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
pjman said:
Has anyone tried teh OEM Premium Speaker Upgrade? I bought some nice alpines but they dont match (even though best buy computer said they would) but the holes dont line up. its for my wife's forester (yes, i have one too just much faster!) so she refuses to let me drill holes.

just looking to see if i can get some for the right price if it is worth the upgrade?

any experience out there?
I've got all 6 OEM premium speakers in my '98 L. Night and day better than the stockers. They are poly cones, made by panasonic. However - i'll be the first to tell you that I don't have audiophile-grade ears. Tweets made the biggest difference.

Complete set cost me less than $50 on ebay.

The head unit is still the weak link in the whole mess, through.

·
Registered
2004 XT
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
speakers

i already bought her a pretty decent alpine head unit and now the speakers are the downfall... would i have to gut the speakers for the housing or should they match up since their both subaru?

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
You never did say what year Forester?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
If you want to buy aftermarket speakers, you can get adapter plates from most car stereo places on the web. Try crutchfield, sounddomain, etc etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts