Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Anyone Tried Michelin Hydro Edge ?

5K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  subaru4me77 
#1 ·
My '08 Forester's 215-60 R16 Yokohamas are ready for replacement.

Am considering the Michelin Hydro Edge, with 90,000 mile potential. Reviewed as #1 by Consumer Reports for all-season.

Has anyone tried these ? If so, please lemme know what you think ?

Thanks !!!

#3 ·
Great Tire

We currently have a set of Michelin HydroEdge on our '05 FXT, and I am very impressed with the tire. We have about 20K miles on them right now, and they are wearing very well. We keep them rotated about every 6k miles or so, and just had our shop (LIC Motorsports) rotate them for our 60K mile service. They said there was still 9.5/32" of treadwear left.

We have driven through the snow on our way to Reno a few times with these tires and I wasn't worried at all. We mostly do freeway driving, and I'm definitely expecting to get at least 90K out of them. I have always been a fan of Michelin tires, and I don't put anything else on our vehicles. Yeah, they can be a bit expensive, but I think they are worth every penny.

We purchased these tires a little while back at Discount Tire, and they gave us a great deal on a set of 4. I informed them that I was planning on purchasing the tires from Costco because they were a little cheaper, and they went lower than the Costco price....plus an instant $70 rebate.

#8 ·
We had Hydro Edges installed on our '03 Honda Odyssey a couple of years ago.

The Hydro Edges have performed and worn well, but they are quite a bit noisier on the Odyssey than the OEM Michelin Symmetry tires they replaced.

#9 ·
I had a set of Hydro Edge tires on my 99 Forester and loved everything about them especially in wet weather. But.... they tend to pick up stones and debris easily, I had more flats in two years of driving with the Hydro Edge tires than I have in over 35 years of driving. Happily driving on Continental Extreme Contacts for almost two years based on other members recomendations (swapped the Geolanders right away), flat free.

#12 ·
Well, after searching and searching....ended up with different tires:

Michelin Primacy MXV4. (94H 215-60 R16).

Hydroedge was not avail in 94H, but 94T.....so decided to go against it.
So far, so good.....what a huge diff vs. Yokahama Geolander 900 in smoothness... and so quiet !!! Will post comments every now and then as to how they're holding up.

Warranty is 55,000. (Hydroedge is 90,000).

#13 ·
I'm sure you will like the Primacy MXV4. Although I believe the only difference is the 94T is rated for a max speed of 130 mph, and the 94H is rated at 118 mph.

I know we use our FXT as a family vehicle, and never plan on going over 118 mph. I believe the Primacy is even more expensive than the Hydroedge, and also 45K miles less of a treadlife warranty.

Not to put down a fellow Forester owner, but can an NA Forester even go over 118 mph....lol.

#15 ·
i have NOT used these michelins.

lower speed rated tires are too "squishy" cornering imho. to me they feel like someone is in the back trying to steer a little. iirc i tried an H but i believe wound up having to immediately trade even to a T.

i'm pretty sure N/A will go over 118. may have to try that later. NOT. :biggrin:

wonder if the 130 turbo limiter is really just the rev limiter cutting the motor out? i've run into that coming out of 2nd before.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.