Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 forester tour 2.0XT turbo
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone towing with a ascent. I will be buying a trailer next year. I need a car with at least 5000 lb capability. I am not sure how a 4 cylinder turbo charge could pull that kind of weight. would love your input, thanks

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Is anyone towing with a ascent. I will be buying a trailer next year. I need a car with at least 5000 lb capability. I am not sure how a 4 cylinder turbo charge could pull that kind of weight. would love your input, thanks
I would not buy a trailer for the Ascent with a dry weight over 2500 pounds: add your gear, fluids and passengers and you will have load enough.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Manual
321 Posts
People are towing 7000 pounds with 2019 Rangers that also have a turbo 4 cylinder. My only concern would be the CVT limiting itself and the electronic parking brake.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
882 Posts
People are towing 7000 pounds with 2019 Rangers that also have a turbo 4 cylinder. My only concern would be the CVT limiting itself and the electronic parking brake.
Don't see how an electronic parking brake has anything to do with towing? I can see the CVT limiting towing capacity....Towing is all about torque, the more the better. And CVT's are not known to handle high torque well. Why do you think none of the European cars have CVT? They are high torque motors vs Japanese cars which are high Horsepower motors.

My 2014 Mercedes ML 350 Bluetec has electronic parking brake and it's rated to 7000lbs....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try the ascent forum...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Forester Manual
321 Posts
Don't see how an electronic parking brake has anything to do with towing? I can see the CVT limiting towing capacity....Towing is all about torque, the more the better. And CVT's are not known to handle high torque well. Why do you think none of the European cars have CVT? They are high torque motors vs Japanese cars which are high Horsepower motors.

My 2014 Mercedes ML 350 Bluetec has electronic parking brake and it's rated to 7000lbs....
I've had automatics get stuck in park on a hill before. It's also a lot of extra stress on the parking pawl, to the point it could break.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Manual
321 Posts
You care to explain what this has to do with towing and electronic parking brake or are we suppose to guess?
In the ascent the parking brake isn't up to the task apparently. The owners manual says someone else has to drop a wheel chock under the trailer.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
882 Posts
That I was not aware of. But still that is considered good safety procedure in the towing world. So I don't necessarily consider that a strike against towing the the vehicle.....

·
Premium Member
2014 XT Premium CVT
37 Posts
Thanks for this explanation. The reason might also be some difficulty in getting the Ascent out of park on an incline. I am considering replacing my 2014 XT with an Ascent and I don't always have a passenger. The electronic parking brake bothers me since I'm accustomed to an emergency brake. From the owners manual:

"Parking on a grade
Always block the wheels under both
vehicle and trailer when parking. Apply
the parking brake firmly. You should not
park on a hill or slope. If parking on a hill or
slope cannot be avoided, you should take
the following steps:
1. Apply the brakes and hold the pedal
down.
2. Have someone place wheel blocks
under both the vehicle and trailer wheels.
3. When the wheel blocks are in place,
release the regular brakes slowly until the
blocks absorb the load.
4. Apply the regular brakes and then
apply the parking brake; slowly release
the regular brakes.
5. Shift into “P” position and shut off the
engine.
In the ascent the parking brake isn't up to the task apparently. The owners manual says someone else has to drop a wheel chock under the trailer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts