Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
05 WRX STI
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new bigger Legacy looks to me as a huge step backward with tacked on fender flares around the wheel and the front is kinda weird also. The last gen was better looking and along with the last gen Acura TL was the best looking cars in its class . Now they both went Ugly ! What is up with that?
Are they pulling designers out of local crack houses? :biggrin:

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
I think >60% of LGT.com thinks so too.
^ Yeah, but we're a biased bunch! :mob: :biggrin:

OK, all said and done, I can't quite get over the sheer size of the new BM-Legacy. However, I honestly don't mind the aesthetics all that much - it's continuing to grow on me.

What I really like are the overseas factory-optional body-kits:

Moreso for their frontal/side aspects (including even the less-apparent styling aspects, such as the darkened headlamp assembly) rather than rear, which I think looks way too Lexus-esque and generic:

Pictures courtesy of brother Aussie Dave of LGT.com and LGT.org.

That's not his BM (his ride is a most delicious and tastefully modified Aussi-market Liberty STi), but rather, one of his friend's.

I think it's got potential, but that's just me. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
I agree with that. The last gen Legacy and Outback both look better than their replacements. Not only were they better proportioned, they looked more Subaru-ish (frameless windows, floating roof etc).

-- Steve

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,614 Posts
I like the way the previous Legacy looked.

However, I like the new one even more.

(Outback, old = better. New = too big, too tall, too awkward)

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
ALL the new subaru models now have HUGE fender openings, and I think that is a big reason things look off. It makes the stock wheels look tiny.

I parked next to a 2010 Outback, and it is nearly the same size as the SG. The outback was longer and wider, but height wise it was about the same. I really liked it.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts

OK, all said and done, I can't quite get over the sheer size of the new BM-Legacy. However, I honestly don't mind the aesthetics all that much - it's continuing to grow on me.

Moreso for their frontal/side aspects (including even the less-apparent styling aspects, such as the darkened headlamp assembly) rather than rear, which I think looks way too Lexus-esque and generic:

That's not his BM (his ride is a most delicious and tastefully modified Aussi-market Liberty STi), but rather, one of his friend's.

I'd buy that. Oh wait, Subaru didn't bring that look over. Sigh... this is the song that never ends... it will go on and on my friends... :Banane08:

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
We own an 08 so we're probably a bit biased...

But yeah, the old one is a bit better looking to my eye. I'm partial to smaller cars, though, and that has a lot to do with it, and the old version seems sportier instead of looking like a generic family car as the new model does. I've never been a fan of the Altima-esque look on cars, from the C-pillar on back, and it seems that many automakers have adopted that look on at least one model. Yuck.

Functionally, the new Legacy looks to be a better car, though.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts

^^That is hot. Yes, the old ones look better...new ones are growing on me...like the one in the pic above :)

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
I think >60% of LGT.com thinks so too.
Probably more like 85%+...

I own a 4th gen legacy, so of course I'm a bit partial, but I do think the body style of the 05-09s look way better than the 2010. That being said, the look of the newer ones is growing on me, especially the JDM models (but they always look better).

Its almost comical to me how worked up people on LGT.com get over the 4th gen v.s. 5th gen debate. The little bit of fuss over here about the 09+ forester re-design is nothing compared to the arguments, flaming, and downright hatred some members over there have toward the 2010 Legacy.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about: Vote. Do you like 2010 Legacy? - Subaru Legacy Forums

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
I have to admit though.. that JDM kit looks like a new Toyota Camry, minus the pedal failures.. well who knows since they're probably in the same plant.

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
Hey, what gives!? I start a "new Subarus are ugly" thread and people get their panties in a bunch and close the thread. You all seem to be able to bash the new Legacy unabated. Go figure.

Mark

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,919 Posts
The new one looks kind of pudgy to me, but as with the Forester '09 redo, the additional rear seat legroom makes the '10 more appealing to me as a useful car for carrying tall people (which I sometimes do).

Seems like every Japanese brand is hiking up beltlines and adding visual bulk in styling. It probably does help in crash test ratings, but I like the prior gen Accord, Mazda6, and other earlier designs better as well.

As funny or yukky as some new cars and features seem upon introduction, they eventually become part of the landscape and ya just drive 'em. After really hating the '96 Taurus/Sable design, we got my wife a '98 Sable in 2000 because it was the car we wanted and needed (and it was a great deal used); we both got used to the looks and the car served us really well for 7 years.

George

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Hey, what gives!? I start a "new Subarus are ugly" thread and people get their panties in a bunch and close the thread. You all seem to be able to bash the new Legacy unabated. Go figure.

Mark
LOL wow I never ever saw that thread.. I guess I was at home in norcal when that happened. But hey, I agree. :biggrin:

They actually don't look like they're ripping you apart.. just a few guys got kind of pissed. And then it got locked because us SG guys have started a bunch of those threads lol.

I'm kind of in the middle of the road at the moment. While I don't exactly like the new look of Subaru, I notice everything is getting a tad uglier. It's like the heads of design are trying to be cool but totally failing.

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
The more I see the new Legacy the more I like it. I still like the back end and taillights better on the previous Legacy a lot more. I test drove an '05 LGT a while back before I got my Forester and it was so small I could barely fit. I'm only 6'2" 220lbs., but even in the passenger side I was totally cramped. No leg room at all. My wife is only 5'2" and she was even complaining about the space. Plus, the back seat was a joke, nobody over 6 years old was getting back there. The new Legacy took a while to get used to, but now my wife is even thinking about getting one.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Its almost comical to me how worked up people on LGT.com get over the 4th gen v.s. 5th gen debate. The little bit of fuss over here about the 09+ forester re-design is nothing compared to the arguments, flaming, and downright hatred some members over there have toward the 2010 Legacy.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about: Vote. Do you like 2010 Legacy? - Subaru Legacy Forums
^ I agree, it's out-of-hand. It saddens me to see that the generations can't get along together, that some feel superior to others. :frown:

To me, each generation has its own distinct flavor.

-----

I have to admit though.. that JDM kit looks like a new Toyota Camry, minus the pedal failures.. well who knows since they're probably in the same plant.
But at the same time, the BL/BP also looked quite like the 6th generation Camrys, and also, to an extent, the 6th/7th generation Accords.

It's one of my favorite traits of the BL-sedan, that it can literally blend in to traffic with the masses of previous-generation Accords and Camrys - as well as one of my most hated parts of this car: that it's so cookie-cutter.

And I think this ties-in well to:

Seems like every Japanese brand is hiking up beltlines and adding visual bulk in styling.
^ Agreed.

Sadly, it seems that aside from the Impreza line, Subaru seems to be more than willing to just follow-along with the prevailing aesthetic, whatever that may be.

I know that breaking out of the mold is not the smartest thing to do, financially speaking - witness the love-(and mostly) hate relationship that people had with the front-end looks of the B9 Tribeca - but the car-lover part of me does wish that Subaru would take a bit more risk.

Speaking of the old B9, whatever happened to that Cobb supercharged H6 B9? :confused:

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
I test drove an '05 LGT a while back before I got my Forester and it was so small I could barely fit. I'm only 6'2" 220lbs., but even in the passenger side I was totally cramped. No leg room at all. My wife is only 5'2" and she was even complaining about the space. Plus, the back seat was a joke, nobody over 6 years old was getting back there.
Very, very true.

My buddy loves my "Stage II" 5MT BL sedan. He loves the way it drives, he loves the power, he loves practically everything about it.

But he's your size.

And he don't fit - at least not comfortably, that is. :frown:

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
It's plain uglier, just like the new Impreza and here in Australia, the new Honda Accord Euro, Mazda 3 and 6, and I could go on and on.

Australians I know all blame it on the tastes of the American market where the big sales are and where that over bloated, awkwardly proportioned shape seems to have been accepted over the years. Really depressing when you see some of the great design coming out of Europe.

However as an owner and admirer of an 07 Foz I really do like the new one even more. I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts