Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTL
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone modified a sport bumper for a non-sport forester SG to allow the use of the stock fog lights?
:crazy:

·
Registered
07 fxt
396 Posts
i am going to do that this summer.
and i will post pics.
thats the only reason breanna doesnt want the sport bumper is because it doesnt have fog lights.
so thats why i am doing it.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTL
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Sport bumper has those 'flat' cheeks, as opposed to the 'roundy' cheeks of the non.

Anxiously awaiting pics. :woohoo:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,529 Posts
With the loss of fog lights with the Sports bumper, you gain side vents. If you do this, you can actually use the vent to get cold air to the intake. Of course you could MOD them to channel air to your brakes.

As to fog lights, this is on my future MOD list. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
Personally, I find the factory fogs on my '07 XT Ltd. useless. In all honesty, I've only used them a few times. It seems now that every idiot and their mother drives around with their fog lights on all the time.

When I do my sports bumper conversion, I am installing Hella Rallye 4000 Compact driving lights behind the grille and modify the stock fog light switch on the dash to operate them with high beams only. I suspect I'll get a lot more use out of them then I ever did out of the factory fogs.

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
I can not install light in the grill since my huge auto trans cooler is located there, and im sure a few others with auto trans have their coolers there as well.

There is a lot of room between the inside of the grille and the front of the radiator. I think the Hella 500s are only a few inches thick.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
There is a lot of room between the inside of the grille and the front of the radiator. I think the Hella 500s are only a few inches thick.
Still, I dont want to block any flow at all, hence the reason I added a huge trans cooler. If I can do something like the OP suggested, and we talked about a long while ago I will. I like the molded in look, and imo bolt on lights look tacky unless on a roof rack.

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
True, there really aren't many options for us. The factory fogs look good (like they belong there) but are of limited utility. Any "bolt on" auxillary lighting that would actually be useful looks like a bolt-on. If it weren't for a perfectly good fog light switch left on the dash after the bumper conversion, I'd probably forego it all.

A log time ago I had a '96 Cherokee with Hella 500 fog and driving lights - they really made a HUGE difference! Like my '06 WRX, the factory fogs on my FXT are essentially unnoticeable when turned on.

I'm using the Hella Shieldz in gray on the Rallye Compact 4000 DRs that are going on the FXT with the hope that it will help hide them behind the grille. I'll make up for the reduced light output with a set of 100 watt bulbs.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTL
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally, I find the factory fogs on my '07 XT Ltd. useless. In all honesty, I've only used them a few times.
RLY?
Sure the bulbs could stand to be a little brighter, but I've found them to be quite useful on those evenings that it's raining and there are no lines on the road or street lights.

They also seem to do pretty well on snow covered roads to show drift build-up on the sides of the roads.

This is only my 2nd car with foglights though, so I may not know what I'm missing.:shrug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts