Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have not seen much about this yet for the SH. I am thinking of taking the plunge on one. Looks like even stage one has a significant torque bump.

·
Registered
2010 XT Premium Stage 1
154 Posts
Hi, I have been running the AP on my 2010XT forester for about 5 months now. I love it. I really notice the torque bump. To me the upgrade to stage one on the 09/10 Forester is much more noticeable than the stage one upgrades I installed on my 04 WRX, and my 05 LGT. My brother just bought a 2010 WRX (light-years better than my 04), and when we get on it from a roll his WRX only pulls ahead very slowly. He says that he is a little bit irritated that my Forester is that quick, and kinda wishes he got the Forester instead of the WRX, so he could go more places in the mountains.
I say get the AP, you will like the power bump and my forester seems less picky about gas, since it is tuned for the 91 octane that I have to buy. I also think that the overall drive-ability is better. Plus, stage 2 is just a down pipe away.

·
Supporting Vendor
2005 80 CC
550 Posts
Been helping cobb a bit on the testing with the AP on the 2010 FXT's little over 15K on the car and its running great. the latest maps they have posted are the best so far.
trying to find time in my schedule to install the COBB DP and flash stage 2 :)

Tom

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that settles it I will order mine today :woohoo: I actually noticed the improvement on my 2004 XT with just stage 1. I think with an auto it will be a big bonus with extra torque.

·
Registered
2010 XT Premium Stage 1
154 Posts
Good choice. My brother and I took the Forester up to the mountains to do some hiking today. There may have been some fun driving up the canyons followed by a bit of off-roading. I love the Forester even more now, and the hike was also fun.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered it from Jackie at Annapolis that day. It will be here some time next week. I had it for the 2004 XT and like it. I really noticed the difference when I was loaded down with passengers -felt stronger.

I have decided with this car that I will do all of my favorite mods as fast as I can afford. I waited on the the other one for some time. Although I learned on that one the mods that worked well but I won't do on this one (hard bushings everywhere for one)

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I decided to order a factory STI sway bar instead of a whole front/rear with extras. Savings:$400. Bigger turbo is a little closer. What is the one now a VF52?!

·
Registered
2010 XT Premium Stage 1
154 Posts
The Vf52 is the turbo that they have put in the 09+ WRX. It seem to be responsible for the new WRX's quickness. I would really love to get one in my FOZ.
My plans are Down pipe(stage 2), then fuel pump, VF52, protune, and maybe injectors.
There is nothing more awesome than smoking a Mustang on the twisty mountain roads, and then taking off an going off-road.
I am not sure if I will change the suspension any. I need the clearance, and I'm sure that my wife would not enjoy a bumpy ride. I have more confidence in the Foresters suspension than I did in my LGT. My Legacy just seemed sketchy and odd near its limits.

Well a this modding talk has gotten to me. I think I shall go stage 2 in a couple weeks, while the wife and boys are out of town for a few days. hehehehe.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will likely go stage two pretty fast. I would love to see some cobb maps for a VF52 or VF48 for our cars. I would drop for the turbo faster if I did not have to go the extra step of protune. Really I bet stage 2 would be enough for my DD needs.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
13 Posts
What is an AP?

I have a 2010XT and I don't know what this mod is. Can someone please explain it to me.

Thanks

·
Registered
2010 XT Premium Stage 1
154 Posts
I will likely go stage two pretty fast. I would love to see some cobb maps for a VF52 or VF48 for our cars. I would drop for the turbo faster if I did not have to go the extra step of protune. Really I bet stage 2 would be enough for my DD needs.
I agree 100%. Stage two now, and then turbo swap and protune when I can find the money. That will probably be when my kids are in school and my wife goes back to work. Then my car would technically be out of warranty, and then the gloves come off.

·
Registered
2010 XT Premium Stage 1
154 Posts
I have a 2010XT and I don't know what this mod is. Can someone please explain it to me.

Thanks
AP is an abbreviation for Access Port, Made by Cobb Tunning. It is a system for engine management and after market tuning. Just buying and installing the Access Port with all other thinks stock will give you a power boost, and is know as Stage 1. This is a good place for anyone who is looking to get into power modifications to start.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
52 Posts
Does anybody know why the performance numbers are so different between 2009 and 2010? For example, Stage 1 with 93 octane gas gives a 28.5% torque increase in the '10 but only 9.7% in the '09.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
For example, Stage 1 with 93 octane gas gives a 28.5% torque increase in the '10 but only 9.7% in the '09.
LOL. Sorry, couldn't help it.

There is no way you can have a 28% torque increase with an off the shelf COBB map without changing any hardware, sorry. Take those
numbers with a grain of salt, it's marketing figures. Every car is different, too.

If you are talking maximum torque numbers, I went from 211wtq at 3,750RPM stock to 255wtq at 3,500RPM with a VF43, downpipe and a tune. So, 21% gain (of course, powerband shifted, etc..). Conservative build, but a totally different car -- night and day.

Don't pay attention to numbers. I treat the AP as a tool that allowed me to make additional power modifications, not much more than that.

Stan

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited
94 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
bryan03tls your car looks great. I may have a front spoiler in my future.

Stan - I have to agree in that the numbers seem pretty optimistic. Although I did enjoy the AP stage1 on my 04.

Also, I don't think there is a difference between 2009 and 2010. Maybe they slipped and used the stage 2 numbers for 2010? EDIT: After reviewing the info on cobb's site it appears they are making a pretty big distinction between the two. We should find out why. It is possible that the info they have posted for the 2009 is old. Tom (Kartboy fame) said that he has been helping with map testing and the newest maps are the best by far. If they are really getting these kind of numbers it is pretty phenomenal. Even the OTS stage 2 is hitting 329wtq at about 2500 rpm!

Have you guys seen this?
I don't know what to think and if it is true I am scared for my poor 4eat

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
52 Posts
LOL. Sorry, couldn't help it.

There is no way you can have a 28% torque increase with an off the shelf COBB map without changing any hardware, sorry. Take those
numbers with a grain of salt, it's marketing figures. Every car is different, too.

If you are talking maximum torque numbers, I went from 211wtq at 3,750RPM stock to 255wtq at 3,500RPM with a VF43, downpipe and a tune. So, 21% gain (of course, powerband shifted, etc..). Conservative build, but a totally different car -- night and day.

Don't pay attention to numbers. I treat the AP as a tool that allowed me to make additional power modifications, not much more than that.

Stan
I do realize the need for a grain of salt, but in this case it appears they have data to back it up. If you go to Cobb's online dyno database, select Subaru->Forester->2010->Clark,Brandon and look at the two dyno plots, there is a 28.5% increase in the max torque.

They're probably not using the OTS map though.

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
Does anybody know why the performance numbers are so different between 2009 and 2010? For example, Stage 1 with 93 octane gas gives a 28.5% torque increase in the '10 but only 9.7% in the '09.
Yeah I saw that too and this is my take on it. The 09 FXT category on Cobb's website hasn't been updated since the v1.00 maps. The 2010 FXT category on Cobb's website is updated all the way to v1.02 maps. That's my only guess since the 2010 and 09 FXT use the same maps. This is just a guess but I was wondering the same thing.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts