Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester Xs
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2005 Forester XS and the front drivers side power door lock actuator is in need of replacement. I've found information on the door panel removal so I'm all set there but have not found any detail on the actuator replacement. Has anyone out in the forum replaced one, if so any tips, tricks or anything that would help me in general? At this point I must admit I only suspect the actuator, the failure mechanism has been: the actuator worked some times and then not others (this was over the course of maybe a month or two), all other doors lock and unlock no issue (door switch works all other doors no issue), when pressing the key fob the vehicle always acknowledges the signal (chirp and lights blink) yet the actuator appears to do nothing. Just prior to full failure pressing the door lock switch on the door the power door lock unit would appear as if it was trying to shift the lock assembly but just did not have enough umph. One other thing, I have used the search function and come up empty. Thanks for any help, Russ.

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Join the club

I have a 2006 with the same problem. I oiled the cables to the lock and made sure they moved easily and it all worked for about two months but all the time it worked again, it seemed weak. Yesterday it sounded like it was going to die and now it did.

Looking for help too. I took the door apart but could not see how to get the actuator out.

Any help for us? :icon_cry:

I seem to remember a few other members with 2005/2006 models having this problem.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/drivers-door-lock-36-mo-1-week-21930/?highlight=actuator

·
Registered
1998 subaru
26 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2005 Forester XS and the front drivers side power door lock actuator is in need of replacement. I've found information on the door panel removal so I'm all set there but have not found any detail on the actuator replacement. Has anyone out in the forum replaced one, if so any tips, tricks or anything that would help me in general? At this point I must admit I only suspect the actuator, the failure mechanism has been: the actuator worked some times and then not others (this was over the course of maybe a month or two), all other doors lock and unlock no issue (door switch works all other doors no issue), when pressing the key fob the vehicle always acknowledges the signal (chirp and lights blink) yet the actuator appears to do nothing. Just prior to full failure pressing the door lock switch on the door the power door lock unit would appear as if it was trying to shift the lock assembly but just did not have enough umph. One other thing, I have used the search function and come up empty. Thanks for any help, Russ.
Tools such as a socket set are necessary for replacing the rear lock actuator for the automatic lock on a forester.

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
bumping this up.

My front passenger side just died today.

I can't even find a single picture of the door lock actuator anywhere. And forget nasioc.com, it's like finding a needle in a haystack in that site.

I'm sure someone has some info on how to replace these things, so c'mon, give 'em up :Banane36:

I really hate going/doing a repair blind. Info for me is key before any wrenching happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts