Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if members remove their roof racks (cross bars) & if they noticed any difference in noise levels or gas mileage? :?: I've noticed less wind noise at highway speeds personally with the bars removed (although some is still present around the front windows which I think is a quirk of the Forester to begin with). As for mileage, considering it's winter.......the jury is still out & I will measure that in the warmer weather.....but I know it's not any worse than before. What are your overall findings? :)

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Mine come off for road trips, otherwise the whistling becomes unbearable.
Fuel economy is improved by ~1mpg at highway speeds (or is it decreased by 1mpg with it on? ... Your choice).
I've also got the sunroof deflector, which seems to channel the airflow right to the bar, making the whistle even stronger.

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
mine are off

they look dog ugly IMO on the SFs anyways

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine have been off since I got the car. The noise level is less and I think my mileage increased by about 1 mpg.

Kevin

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
Lexusfreak said:
Just wondering if members remove their roof racks (cross bars) & if they noticed any difference in noise levels or gas mileage? :?: I've noticed less wind noise at highway speeds personally with the bars removed (although some is still present around the front windows which I think is a quirk of the Forester to begin with). As for mileage, considering it's winter.......the jury is still out & I will measure that in the warmer weather.....but I know it's not any worse than before. What are your overall findings? :)
Mine came off on day one. I think if you have a look around in the gallery you will notice that the majority of owners have taken theirs off. To me it was intended to be more of a cosmetic fix than a noise issue or mileage booster, though.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Mine comes off in winter. Easier to wipe off the snow. Plus there is a slight difference in noise. You do hear the racks buffiting in the wind.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Philistine said:
mine are off

they look dog ugly IMO on the SFs anyways
you might find the 03 Canadian racks are different thatn the US one's. Mine look like these.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Mine came off the first time I washed her, never put them back on.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Mine have been off since day one also. They came off right after the stock wheels came off. Then I took off that stupid label on the rails. When I need cross bars I have a Thule set that I put on for my bikes and snowboards. The stock bars are kinda wimpy looking to me.

J

·
0 Posts
The only time I use them is on trips when I need my Thule cargo carrier. It looks better without them IMHO.

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
Mine have been on and off numerous times. I am going to start spending more time cycling again, so I will have a functional reason to have the rack on. I never make any long trips (over 300 miles) in my car so I don't worry much about noise or gas mileage. Overall looks-wise I sometimes like the rack-free look, but at other times think the car looks a bit naked without it. Personal preference I suppose.

I did remove the label for sure.

Jeff :)

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
Took them off the second it got home from the dealer- haven't used 'em once.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Didnt get any!!
They are an optional extra here and the charge a heck of a lot for them.

I was actually after some and range the Subi dealer and the guy said "Do you want the Rola or the Thule", in the end I bought the same thing from somewhere else for a lot less (but without the Subaru name on them)

I only put them on when I need them.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate the reply's everyone. Keep em coming......it's overwhelming that folks like it off......I personally feel the same way (had to talk the wife into it however lol) but I like the look of just the side rails. :)

·
Registered
2003 Forester
169 Posts
I upgraded mine to the Yakima Forester spacific crossbars. I use it so much (bikes, skis, kyack, rocketbox) that taking them off would not be worth the time. Plus, its nice for putting long things on (properly tied down of course) and to keep dirty bikes and skis outside.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Have ski racks attached to them so they are on in the winter, off in the summer. Without the ski racks, I messed with on/off for a while and didn't notice a noise or mpg difference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts