Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm joining a small group of guys and we are going to test out a few potential sites for some local RallyX events this summer.

I'll be driving my XT, but I'm unsure of which tires to use. I have some 16" with 215/60/16 Winter iPikes, some 17" with 225/55/17 Winter iPikes, and some 16" wheels with stock Geos (50% tread).

For Rally X would skinny tires work better? How hard is it on your tires? If it trashes your tires I'd probably just beat on the Geos, because I don't want to destroy my winter tires. If it isn't too bad on the tires would the 16" or 17" be better to run?

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
either of the 16s would be good, ipike are probably chewier but there is always a chance of debeading a tire and it would would suck to wreck one of the good ones. I would take the Geos to beat on.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
debeadeing sucks
depends on what the conditions are like, hitting ruts sideways is going to put lots of force on those nice warm squishy sidewall winter tires.. :icon_frown:

I ran TSDs on stock geos and then on x-ice2s, not the same forces as rallyX though.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
i saw an article in GRM where they rally-x'd a neon w/ extreme summer tires(bridgestone re01rs) and did extremely well...

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This weekend the first area we are going to is on the Quainault indian reservation. My father inlaw and wife are part of the tribe, so it gives me an excuse to visit them AND have fun driving. The course they are looking at is a mix of gravel logging road, and a big dirt lot. Should be pretty cool.

The following weekend we are looking at a big grass field in the Cle Elum area, and then we check out another grass field in the Centralia area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts