Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am kind of new here but we now have the 2010 forester 2.5x. Just the base model, around here they do not have many choices from just one small dealer. We are planning a trip to Colorado and thinking of going to the San Juan area and wondered if anyone had some times on the trails. Wondering of the trails are accessible early June? Right now the foz is stock but getting a skid kit for it before we head out west this summer. Thanks for the info.
Danny

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
490 Posts
I think early June might be a bit too early especially for high mountain passes, but you should double check with the forest service first as the possibility of snow is there. Lower elevations should be fine though. I'm thinking about making a trip out there in late July or August as I've never been that way and it looks like a beautiful country.
I'd recommend googling some info on the San Juans, pick up a guide book or two, and maybe even contact some local businesses (just don't tell them you're gonna be traveling in a Subaru, but rather use the term stock SUV. Trust me, people don't associate Subarus with offroad driving all that much and will probably tell you to stick to main highways :crazy:).
Hopefully some others on here can chime in with more info (I might too later on as I start planning a trip that way).

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
You will not be able to do 99% of the passes that time of year. You will be MUCH better off mid/late july or early august. I know this cause I'm to do a long weekend out there in the suburban.

You're Foz will handle the terrain, and I can help you out with trail suggestions. Two things before you come though:

1 - SKID PLATES (you will need them)

2 - BETTER TIRES (get yourself an A/T tire, yoko AT/S are a nice street/offroad compromise. Some of the shale out here will rip a street tire to threads)

·
Registered
2006 XT
675 Posts
Hey Bum... welcome to the board.

Like others have said it's up to the weather gods but I would change the dates only if you could. So much will be available then and there will be plenty to do.

It's a matter of time and place. If you only have a day you'll do the loop but not much offroad. If you had a week in the area you'll be able to get into lots of trouble:rock: I've a shack just north of Mt Sneffels on Miller Mesa (Ridgway). I would suggest Wolf Pass and Dallas Divide as doable for a Foz. Of course you could make it most of the way up to Yankee Boy Basin but the top will have snow till mid July. Olphir may be open also. Just realize some of these roads are way off limits to a Foz so don't get your hopes up for the best routes where I'd suggest you spend $150 for a day rental of a Rubicon and is worth every penny (but mid July or later is best).

Give us some details. Stock rubber will be your biggest handicap. Wet/Muddy sections one mile... sharp rock (basketball size) the next make for a sucky day especially when alone.

That said there are so many places to play safe in the alps of Colorado.

Jeff

·
Registered
2006 XT
675 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it seems that due to some things at work now we are going late June. I was wondering about the some of the trails being hard on the stock tires, thanks for the info. We have looked at a place that rents rangers, that would be a cool way to run some trails and still keep the wife's new fozzy from trail rash. Maybe when we get to move out there when I can find a job we can do the trails in the summer.
Danny

·
Registered
2006 XT
675 Posts
Yup with just a daily driver Forester I can keep you busy for days. The trails I indicated will all work w/o even a skid plate. Yet to get high it takes time for the snowfall to melt, which is the source for the mud. Late Aug/Sept your insured dry trails and low water crossings.

For a several day visit you may want to change lodging to suit your efforts. Durango, Ouray, Telluride all are good stops to please any tastes. Each will rent you a jeep. How you loop up/down a trail could leave you in the wrong place at the end of the day. I rent in Ouray go north on 525 to 62 and do Dallas Divide into Telluride, grab to go from "baked in Telluride" and head up and over Imagene Pass, eat, head to Yankee trailhead and go up there, then down back to Ouray by 5pm. One caviat, Imagene does not open till after July 4th most of the time. Prior to that I'd rent in Ouray after 5pm and do Dallas Divide that night and use the 62/525 to sleep in Ouray. Then right from Ouray the next am I'd head up to Yankee Boy and back down then another of the many other trails for the rest of the day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts