Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Sport
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about doing this pass this weekend. Just chimming in to see if anyone has attempted it in their Forester. Mine is stock so not so sure if it would make it through.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Touring 5M
447 Posts
TrailDamage.com

Dosen't look that bad it's high but you should have no problem doing it other then the less oxygen in the air the car should make it no worry about this on my view of things.

The article start with "This trail is a good one to do alone" so I would not expect any big rock climbing etc..

The article do contain this part :
"It has some rocky sections with some optional lines that give this trail its high rating."
(I would skip those optional lines)

-

But hopefully someone with experience with this trail will drop by (Enjoy the ride and take pictures to share with us)

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
The article start with "This trail is a good one to do alone" so I would not expect any big rock climbing etc..
If you re-read the article, I'm pretty sure what they mean is "its a great trail to do all by itself OR tied in with another trail (Black Bear Pass) the same day"

Great resource. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
It's been many many years, but I've been over it with my dad in a Jeep. If my memory serves me right, I wouldn't even consider taking my Forester on it. Very exposed too, so don't take anyone along that's afraid of heights. DEFINITELY stay away from Black Bear Pass...I think the Foz wheelbase may be too long for some of the switchbacks. Hopefully Subacool and Smash will chime in with opinions if they have any.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
486 Posts
I've never been out that way, so I don't know. Keep in mind though, there will most likely be snow up there. Chances are it's not even open all the way. If you're completely stock (no skids, no AT tires), stay away from it, snow or none. The pictures on TD don't always give the trails justice. They wouldn't rate it 4 on the low if it was a smooth cobble stone type road. Browse TD for alternatives, there are quite a few easier trails around Ourray :icon_wink:
Also, is your Foz a manual or auto? If manual, look at trails that don't require much climbing (ask Smash).
If you do end up going, take LOTS and LOTS of pictures!! :rock:

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
If you are stock, I wouldn't do anything more than a fire road.

You are setting yourself up to get yourself stuck up there with some serious damage.

I do not believe people should go off road unprepared. This includes thing from appropriate recovery gear, food and water, clothing, first aid. But don't forget, the biggest part of being prepared is a reliable and capable vehicle.

I have not done that road, but that is my $0.02

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Sport
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are stock, I wouldn't do anything more than a fire road.

You are setting yourself up to get yourself stuck up there with some serious damage.

I do not believe people should go off road unprepared. This includes thing from appropriate recovery gear, food and water, clothing, first aid. But don't forget, the biggest part of being prepared is a reliable and capable vehicle.

I have not done that road, but that is my $0.02
Yeah, I figured. I really want to try it someday but I really doubt the Subie (at least mine) could pull it off. My check list for being prepared is good besides having a winch and prepared rig. I may just have to wait 'til I get a better vehicle to attempt it.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Thanks so much for taking my comments the right way!

I've never found a need for a winch on the subi. It's so small and light, it's easy to stay out of situations where you'd need one. Only time I've found that a winch would be nice is in deep snow. In which case, I just bust out my shovel. And believe me, I am a master shoveler now.... :lol:

That being said, I do carry a big cable puller in case I really get screwed. Along with a ton of other gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts