Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something my dealer wants to sell me. Anyone heard of it? It sounds like something that's not for me, but am open to your opinions:

http://www.terraclean.net/home.htm

Terraclean is supposed to clean out carbon deposits in the engine, leading to higher mileage. Anything else do the same thing? Cost at the dealer is about $200.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
I believe there was a lengthy discussion on this on the old SF.com Forum and most folks advised to stay away. My take is if it is not required in the owners manual just pass on it. What warrants this service to be done? I know someone who got a similiar service done with no benefits. The $200 could be save towards a major tuneup. You are better off buying a non-alcoholic bottle of Chevron Techron System Cleaner. I ran my old Acura Legend over 160,000 miles with just oil changes, regular maintanence and tuneups and had consistant gas mileage until I sold it. All these gas saving crap sounds like a waste of money and time to me.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
64 Posts
I'd be wary -- after 6 VWs all with over 150K miles and all fuel injected -- I never needed the special benefits of a product like this. Today's gasolines have quite an assortment of detergents and I'd be skeptical that this product is really worth the $200.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Skepticism is why I asked the question here. You folks are great!

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
The site questions

1. Does your car have over 15,000 miles (25,000 km)? Yes, 96,000
2. Does your car hesitate or feel sluggish on acceleration? Nope
3. Has your fuel consumption increased? Not really
4. Have you missed an oil change or a recommended tune-up? Never!
5. Are you due for an emissions test or have you recently Don't think we have those here
failed one?

LOL

If you have answered YES to any of the
above questions, then your vehicle
probably has Carbon Build-Up!

Right.. I'm sure every car probally has some.. but it's not really going to affect your vehicles performance

·
Premium Member
07 x auto
147 Posts
Agree with tre36, a bottle of Chevron fuel injector cleaner couple times a year. My wifes 90 Eclipse has 225,000 and thats all that's ever been done regarding injectors. My99L has 125,??? ( bought at 81,900) and no problems.
In short don't waste your money.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Good quality fuel contains detergents that should mitigate the build-up of carbon deposits. I think you'd get a major placebo affect after plopping down $200 (not to mention whatever else they charge you once they've got you in there).

Try some Techron and run some good before/after numbers on your car's fuel economy.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Every oil change I run a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I run a bottle of TECHRON FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER in my gas every 10,000 miles. Does a great job for me on my present Suby 102,000 miles, Jeep 4.0-197,000 miles, saab turbo-176,000 miles. I think your dealer is offering you a high margen dollar profit product that is unproven. JMO

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
I concur. It's a high-margin gimmick and may actually do more harm than good. I have several friends with over 200K on their cars and changing oil regularly is all they have done to the engine. Not only am I skeptical but often, I worry about the harmful effects of these unproven methods of "cleaning" the engine.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
I too am a big fan of the Chevron with Techron fuel system cleaner......it's awesome stuff! :)

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
So it's an induction cleaning system then?

Despite what has been posted, I have seen such systems work rather well on higher mileage vehicles.

Check engine lights for EGR,misfires, and Catalyst efficiency have been taken care of by this type of machine (we have a BG setup)

We do not use it as a regular maintenance item, but rather if there is indeed carbon build up.

My wifes OBS had it done at about 240k due to a repeat EGR code.

Prior to the service the EGR pipe was nearly completely blocked with carbon, afterwards it was probably %80 open and the remaining particles were simply falling off. I would not be surprised if it was completely clean now.

Also GM top engine cleaner works wonders with the machine.

Just my .02

CN

Good for repairs where removal of all the carbon could take hours

Questionable as a basic maintenance item ( We do 4-6 a year tops)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts