Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my Kenwood DNX5140 deck since August and have never had a problem with it... until the last week.

Over the last week, the display is messed up on cold start up (if the car has been sitting for a few hours/over night). It started with the display showing very odd contrast - the whites weren't white, colors were really dark and looked like I needed to brighten to display. This morning, this happened as usual, but it was also accompanied by distorted graphics. The graphics looked like they had shadows underneath them.

After 2-3 minutes, the display always returns to normal, but it seems the start up issue is becoming more and more dramatic and I am worried it will will burn out or that I didn't install it correctly. I can't return it to the factory because I purchased it from a non-authorized Kenwood seller.

Anyone experience issues like this? What could be the cause? Will my deck die?:icon_frown:

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Limited CVT
573 Posts
How cold?
It is an LCD after all.
Try this turn the display off next time you’re going to leave your car overnight.
Then the next morning after your car warms up, say 5 minutes turn your stereo on and see if it still happens.
If it dips to freezing or below over night I’d say it’s somewhat normal.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This has been happening as the colder weather is settling in, but I don't think we have had a night below freezing yet. Last night was probably the coldest night so far, and this morning was the worst I have seen the display.

I have never had a like this this before, so I cannot say if it is normal behavior, but if that is true, that is good news.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
LCD behavior is very sensitive to ambient temperature. What you're seeing is unfortunately probably normal. My truck's Panasonic radio display has a similar "problem".

See: Temperature effects on LCDs

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very interesting link, crewzer.

it looks like it may be a temp. issue, which is awesome because I don't have the $$ to replace this deck!

Thanks for your insight, everyone!

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Can't say that's happneed but I haven't had the deck in cold weather yet. Mine's frozen up a couple of times and needed a restart but that's about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts