Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
It looks just like a new one I picked up locally. It fits very good front to back. The welds were good too. It's not real heavy like some of the more popular names but, if name branding is not an issue for you, I'd say go for it.

The seller looks to be California based just for the fact that they are charging sales tax but they also have free UPS Ground shipping.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
If you're going for a noncatted DP, pretty much any of the cheap bellmouths will work fine. You'll have to figure out a way to mount whatever catback you're using to the 3" flat flange that it has (stock catback has a donut flange, but you can get an adapter). The only other thing that could be bad about it is the quality metal (and how much it might rust) and the quality of the welds, but neither are a major concern on a downpipe (at least there won't be a performance difference, just longevity).

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Prius CVT
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're going for a noncatted DP, pretty much any of the cheap bellmouths will work fine. You'll have to figure out a way to mount whatever catback you're using to the 3" flat flange that it has (stock catback has a donut flange, but you can get an adapter). The only other thing that could be bad about it is the quality metal (and how much it might rust) and the quality of the welds, but neither are a major concern on a downpipe (at least there won't be a performance difference, just longevity).
Thank you both for the input.

If there is not a big performance loss I would prefer a catted pipe (I have been told the non-catted pipes create much dirtier exhaust), but they all seem to be so much more expensive.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Thank you both for the input.

If there is not a big performance loss I would prefer a catted pipe (I have been told the non-catted pipes create much dirtier exhaust), but they all seem to be so much more expensive.
I've been thinking of buying a cheap catless downpipe (probably used off ebay or something), and then getting a cheap highflow cat welded into the pipe where the underfloor cat would be (in the straightest section of the DP). Otherwise I'm just going to go catless, as even a catted DP would likely not pass visual inspection in NJ, so I'd have to swap to stock either way.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
AMK 02-07 WRX / STI 3" CAST BELLMOUTH STEEL DOWNPIPE : eBay Motors (item 220594417917 end time Apr-29-10 21:14:18 PDT)

The cast belmouth are usually much better quality and give better leak free connection. I would get Grimspeed or OEM gasket though. Cheap ebay gasket are known to leak.
+1, the gaskets are one area I wouldn't really cheap out on, although after the turbo its not as critical as preturbo (post turbo you're basically just directing the exhaust to the back of the car with as little restriction as possible).

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Prius CVT
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been thinking of buying a cheap catless downpipe (probably used off ebay or something), and then getting a cheap highflow cat welded into the pipe where the underfloor cat would be (in the straightest section of the DP). Otherwise I'm just going to go catless, as even a catted DP would likely not pass visual inspection in NJ, so I'd have to swap to stock either way.
Like a less expensive version of this exhaust?

02-07 WRX/STi Turbo XS Turboback Exhaust w/ Ti Muffler : eBay Motors (item 290377419149 end time May-02-10 20:10:12 PDT)

Cause you can get this cat fairly cheap, in conjunction with the cast DP from the post above. Not a bad idea.

TurboXS Subaru WRX STi High Hi Flow Full Cat Pipe WS-CP : eBay Motors (item 310150765871 end time May-19-10 00:12:12 PDT)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts