Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5L-S
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new to the Forester club (got mine in March this year) I am looking to solve a overload issue causing suspension sag. Specifically when we are going away for the weekend/longer trips and we have all our gear.

I was wondering if anyone has tried the above mentioned Raised King Springs KSRR205/KSFR62 on their SK without additionally lifting the car?
I was hoping to find out how it has changed if at all the car or driving experience?

Thanks all in advance for any input or ideas on how to solve the issue.

·
Administrator
16,400 Posts
G'day & Welcome @juznut I thought the Kings website says they do not make raised springs for the later models as there is not enough travel in the strut?

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5L-S
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi @Kevin I saw on the kings website that they make the raised springs for the SK (KSRR205 and KSFR62) so Im going off that. I havent read anything on the issue you mentioned but I guess Im trying to understand how to address my overload issue

·
Administrator
16,400 Posts
@juznut You're right! It was the SH & SJ - but has the suspension changed that much for the SK? Perhaps send them a message to confirm ;-)

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5L-S
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
No idea the differences in suspension as Im not very knowledgeable on these things. I might take your advice and see if Kings can help me understand how they will fit my car. Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium CVT
15 Posts
When and if you find the answers - post it up to keep up informed.

I’ve got the same predicament wanting to raise the rear of my SK slightly without drastically compromising comfort or handling.

On my previous SH forester I replaced the standard coils with supposedly Pedders heavy duty springs - which for all intent and purposes was a waste of time and money.

They may well have been standard coils painted red...lol

The ultimate and satisfactory solution in my case was a 1” rear spaces.

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5L-S
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
I have been researching on/off for the last few months and so Ill list what Ive discovered so far in case it may help you, and I will update here in case I get more information:

For me Ive identified the problem as overloading the car, which seems to cause the car to feel bouncy and additionally the sagging rear.
Ive found the following possible solutions so far(Ive only listed the ones that seem like the go, i know there are many other lift kits than what ive listed):
  • Lift the car
    • For my issue, this seems to only solves the sag issue and not the bounciness
    • SubieLiftOZ have a range of spacer kits from 1" to 2.5"
    • Primitive Racing offer a kit which includes a 1.25" spacer kit and raised king springs which I suspect are the same as the ones I will mention below
  • Fit "Heavy duty" springs
    • King Springs in Aus make a raised front and rear spring (models i mentioned above) and for which I hope someone has some experience with
    • Rallitek (US) make an OEM height heavy duty spring
      • this one seems like a good choice as it doesnt change the ride height but as its US based item + shipping + local install make it unattractive
  • Do both - lift and upgrade springs
    • in AUS its easy to get King springs and SubieLiftOZ kit but they were designed independently of each other and so I dont know how theyd work together
    • Primitive racing kits come with a spacer and springs and were designed to work together and have good reviews, but by the time I buy,ship and install I think it will suck for my wallet.
Ive contacted Pedders and Fulcrum and they dont have anything else in the way of springs etc for our car yet :(

Ill update here as I find more, hope the above helps.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium CVT
15 Posts
Wow... you’ve certainly done some research on the issue.

Hopefully your post will draw a response from a fozzie driving member with a SK who has successfully overcome both ride height and sagging issues.

After all there must be more than just you and I who intend to get a bit more adventurous with our pride and joy.

Interesting that you mention bouncing issues as well when loaded - what sort of load weight are we talking?

I run close to 80kg on the tow bar and a couple of full 50litre Ice boxes and associated camping gear - estimated total weight 200kg behind the back seat - with only a hint of excessive bounce, certainly not enough to warrant recalibrated rear struts as well.

Bearing in mind our struts should be a long way off buggered due to their relative age.

·
Administrator
16,400 Posts
Pedders heavy duty springs - which for all intent and purposes was a waste of time and money.
Been there done that, yes, wasted time and money!

SubieLiftOZ have a range of spacer kits from 1" to 2.5"
Excellent quality

in AUS its easy to get King springs and SubieLiftOZ kit but they were designed independently of each other and so I dont know how theyd work together
While I'm not sure about the SK there are several / many Subarus here with that combination ; even the SubieLiftOz Forester ;-)

Have a discussion with Matt from SubieLiftOz 0468 878 488 (the number is on the SLO website so no issue publishing it here)

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5L-S
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow... you’ve certainly done some research on the issue.

Hopefully your post will draw a response from a fozzie driving member with a SK who has successfully overcome both ride height and sagging issues.

After all there must be more than just you and I who intend to get a bit more adventurous with our pride and joy.

Interesting that you mention bouncing issues as well when loaded - what sort of load weight are we talking?

I run close to 80kg on the tow bar and a couple of full 50litre Ice boxes and associated camping gear - estimated total weight 200kg behind the back seat - with only a hint of excessive bounce, certainly not enough to warrant recalibrated rear struts as well.

Bearing in mind our struts should be a long way off buggered due to their relative age.
Just wanted to update and perhaps you've already heard theres a new option for us regarding lifts and what not
This company is doing a full suspension lift which seems like it checks all the boxes :)
If you're interested Ive been quoted A$1950 for the parts and a further $600 or so for install.

Going back and forth on whether to pay for install as I have no mechanic expertise.. but they have an install video.. which seems not too complex... plan to pull the trigger once I figure out if Im brave enough or not

1 - 10 of 10 Posts