Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at getting a truck recently, as a toy hauler, 50% daily driver, 50% work truck.. (hate messing up the inside of the forester). Always been a huge fan of diesels but personally have little experience with them. I've heard some bad things about ford's 6.0 engine, and mostly good things about the dodge's I6... wondering if anyone on here had any input? will be 4x4.. sand and mud here around the property gets pretty nasty..

Honestly I would prefer a Tacoma, but they get just as bad of MPG as diesels and resale values on used ones are so ridiculously high it is just not worth it...

will be looking at 05s and up...

any advice or experience is helpful...

mods if this is in the wrong place please move..

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,302 Posts
As far as Ford's 6.0 Diesel, stay away from the 2003-04 models as they had the usual "new model" problems. The same can be said for the first year of the new motor (2008 I think).
The Ford 6.0 is pretty respectable in that my best friend uses his every day. He keeps about 1000-1200 pounds of tools and equipment in it at most all times. It is a Super Crew FX4 (4x4) Lariet...so it is not a light weight truck. He averages about 19-19.5 running between Athens, GA and Atlanta and other points in the Eastern US. 140K so far and he has had to replace the 5 speed automatic (two weeks ago-$4800) and the A/C compressor last year ($2300).
He loves it, but his semi-retired '98 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 Magnum with 325K on the odometer is still going strong at 18+ MPG and 2 transmissions.
One other factor for your consideration is another good friend has a 2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew Cab with the 5.9 Cummins. He loves it. He's had no problems to speak of (except for eating tires). The downside is it has 2/3 of the room that the Ford does in the rear seat area and about 1 MPG less.
I hope that helps.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,137 Posts
I've known several people with the Chevy Duramax diesel and Allison auto that were quite happy with the combination. The last diesel I drove enough to speak somewhat intelligently about was a non-turbo '93 Ford chassis cab outfitted as a Red Cross ERV. It was a solid engine.

Whatever you get make sure you can lock the rear axle in addition to the 4x4. Those heavy 3/4 and one ton pickups just don't like Florida's sand and swamps.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Is the Duramax diesel engine still a joint venture between GM and Isuzu? They are pretty stout engines. Coupled with the Allison transmission I think the combo is hard to beat.

If you change your own oil, be ready for a mess. Used diesel oil is like thick black permanent ink, especially as far as (trying) to get it out from under your fingernails. Nitrile gloves = necessity for oil changes. But some diesels are spec'd for longer oil change intervals than gasoline engines.

That's it on my truck diesel knowledge. I could tell you more than you want to know about Volkswagen Turbo Direct Injection diesel, though, lol (have one).

If you're green and bio-diesel is available in your area, you might want to base your decision in part on which manufacturer is more okay with using B100 or B50 bio in their engine as far as warranty goes. I'm not saying they will warrant if bio is used, but I thought Dodge (Cummins) allowed up to B50 blend and would still warrant the engine.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Honestly I would prefer a Tacoma, but they get just as bad of MPG as diesels and resale values on used ones are so ridiculously high it is just not worth it...
Huh? I haven't seen a diesel Toyota compact pickup since the 1980s. Would this be a factory built diesel Tacoma or a conversion from gas to diesel?

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I'd go with a dodge with the cummins diesel. Seems like the best in terms of reliability and power for the money. Gf's family has a few chevy trucks, the diesel seems to have had the most problems of any, but not with anything drivetrain related, mostly electrical although they had an issue with the belts and pulleys on the engine being "off" and wearing out very quickly.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
35 Posts
I have an 06 Dodge Quad Cab 4x4 with the Cummins Diesel, averaging around 19.6 with mixed driving and weighing in at 8000 pounds (added aftermarket bumpers and a winch) and some towing (16' car hauler with tractors, Cherokee, Miata, junk on it). Only have 39,000 on it, no problems. If you find the Dodge Diesel forums, you can find out all kind of stuff about them. They appear to be fairly trouble free. Prior to the Dodge I had a 89 Ford Crew Cab 4x4 with the 7.3 IDI diesel, still a good truck when I parted with it at 175,000, and prior to that I had a 85 Chevrolet Suburban with the 6.2 diesel, good fuel economy but lacked a lot of power, but it did pull a 6000 pound Airstream pretty good, just slow up the big hills.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Huh? I haven't seen a diesel Toyota compact pickup since the 1980s. Would this be a factory built diesel Tacoma or a conversion from gas to diesel?
Lol, no... a gas tacoma... If I were to go full-sized It'd have to be a diesel, because of MPG and reliability.. but midsized tacoma's get ~18-20mpg with the gas engine..

Appreciate the input so far guys, leaning toward the dodge....

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
974 Posts
IMO nothing beats the all around reliability of the Cummins/NV 5600 6spd combo two overdrives and a good low 1st gear ratio along with the 4-low you should just about pull anything. You should be able to get around 20mpg with the MT. Auto would be less probably significantly. I have seen way to many youtube vids of dodge's outpulling fords and chevy's to be impressed by either V8 diesel, especially when 3 of the vids with fords ended in broken front driveshafts.

Besides Dodge is known for their great heavy duty trucks.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Lol, no... a gas tacoma... If I were to go full-sized It'd have to be a diesel, because of MPG and reliability.. but midsized tacoma's get ~18-20mpg with the gas engine..

Appreciate the input so far guys, leaning toward the dodge....
I also have an '03 Tacoma Prerunner with the 3.4L V6, auto transmission. I have a light foot and drive for efficiency and still only manage about 15-16mpg in the city, 21 on the highway (back road speeds, not interstate; note: I have found this vehicle to be VERY comfortable for highway travel). With any kind of significant load city gas mileage quickly drops to 12mpg. I think the 18-20mpg applies to the 2.7L 4 cylinder engine, not the 4.0L V6 (or older 3.4L V6). The 2.7L motor is a great engine, but is completely inappropriate for your purposes.

Question: Where was the pic in you avatar taken?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts