Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gf got me one for Christmas. I love it, but I haven't taken it out of the house yet because I don't have a case for it.

Anyone have a Kindle that can recommend a durable / practical case?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn you Apple for making my belongings obsolete all the time...

I'll check out the Belkin case. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
308 Posts
Wanted to buy one for my book-a-holic wife for Christmas until I found out the downloads are on AT&T's 3G network which does not cover my town! -Why couldn't it use Verizon's 3G- have full signal at my place. Same reason I don't have a iPhone-AT&T's sucky rural network.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring CVT
697 Posts
^^^^^

It's sprint, but I'm not sure which is the lesser of two evils

From PCWorld...

To deliver all this data, Amazon is using Sprint Nextel's 3G (third-generation) cellular network. But Kindle owners will never see a bill for that service, because the cost will be included in the price of the content. It's a rare move that might be repeated as content providers and mobile operators look for successful formulas for making money off high-speed data networks.

·
Premium Member
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
951 Posts
Wanted to buy one for my book-a-holic wife for Christmas until I found out the downloads are on AT&T's 3G network which does not cover my town! -Why couldn't it use Verizon's 3G- have full signal at my place. Same reason I don't have a iPhone-AT&T's sucky rural network.
We have and love our Gen 1 Kindle. It uses the Sprint network for it's Whispernet wireless connection. But, if you want to, you can connect it via usb cable to your computer for downloads.

We've never had problems getting the Whispernet connection, even inside building where AT&T (notoriously bad reception) fails.

Example, we'll be in a movie theater, see a film, and download the source book before we leave the theater.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,902 Posts
It's kind of late to answer the original question, but I didn't have a Kindle at the time it was posted.

I got this leather case for only $6.99 (and free shipping) from a Hong Kong seller on eBay. It's great, and there were no problems in shipping.

Interest in this model case has died down since the new Kindle was introduced, but at the time I bought it they were bid at prices well over $10. More careful inspection of the seller's listings found it available Buy it Now for $6.99. Auction fever!

If there's no Sprint 3G available (like out here in the country) it will work with regular Sprint. Download speeds are remarkably fast. And it has an experimental Web browser. It's not very good (and they admit that), but it does do OK on sites that are mostly text.

·
Registered
2006 X Premium
448 Posts
The Kindle line is great. Dedicated e-book readers surpass the multi-tasking competition in battery life, form factor/portability and display quality.
I performed a side-by-side comparison of the Kindle vs iPad and the Kindle was so much easier on the eyes and the typeface was print quality. Good stuff.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
I have a sony reader,

Amazon.com: Sony Digital Reader Pocket Edition - Silver (PRS300SC): Electronics

It syncs through my PC, it's not fancy it's just for reading books but I love it. It's a lot cheaper to buy and in the long run too.

and use Calibre to sync books and periodicals (free stuff)

Download Entire Newspapers or Blogs To Your eBook Reader With Calibre

It works for other readers too. It will convert from and to most any format.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
651 Posts
I have a sony reader,

Amazon.com: Sony Digital Reader Pocket Edition - Silver (PRS300SC): Electronics

It syncs through my PC, it's not fancy it's just for reading books but I love it. It's a lot cheaper to buy and in the long run too.

and use Calibre to sync books and periodicals (free stuff)

Download Entire Newspapers or Blogs To Your eBook Reader With Calibre

It works for other readers too. It will convert from and to most any format.
+1 for Sony Reader/Calibre Software combo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts