Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so today I tried adjusting the e-brake below the center console and that was futile, so I want to try and adjust the rotors. Anyone have a visual guide of how to do this? Does it require taking the wheels off?

BTW: I'm 17 and I'm asking here so I don't break it. It's a 1999 Base model(But it has rear disc's).

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
I'm going to say you might not have the base model if you have rear disc brakes, although it is entirely possible to change it over. Does your model have heated seats? Heated mirrors?

Anyway the rear parking brake is operated by small drum brakes on the inside of the rotor housing.

So yes you will have to remove the rear wheels to check these, they also have a small adjuster wheel in the housing, so in case you do not need to replace the shoes you can adjust it there. Make sure you back off the hand brake adjuster before adjusting the rear shoes to give you some future adjustment.

Please use jack stands to support the vehicle any time you are working on the wheels or underneath the car, we want you driving Subaru's for a long time.

Keep us informed as to how it turns out.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
You can adjust it with the wheels on up on ramps (or really even on the ground). On the backside of the backing plates theres a rubber plug (looking at the wheel from under the car). If you pull it out theres a starwheel that adjusts the ebrake shoes further apart or closer together. Its easier with the wheel in the air as you want to spread the shoes apart until "brake shoe is in close contact" and then back it off 3-4 notches.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it has heated seats and mirrors, however I've never seen any other markings on it saying it was anything other than a base model. Can you guys take a picture of this starwheel? I tried googling it with no relevant results. Thanks for the help though.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Yeah it has heated seats and mirrors, however I've never seen any other markings on it saying it was anything other than a base model. Can you guys take a picture of this starwheel? I tried googling it with no relevant results. Thanks for the help though.
Sorry no pictures but check out Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2011, 2010, 2009.. Outback, Legacy, Forester, Impreza, Tribeca and check out the specs for your year Forester, it's probably the S model as opposed to the L base model

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Get under the car and look at the backside of the brake equipment in the rear of the car. There should basically be a large black metal disc behind the rear rotor (the backing plate) and low down on it should be a rubber plug. Pull that out and shine a flashlight or something in there to see it. Even with the service manual it took a fit of time to figure it out. Also you'll need a good long flat head screwdriver or similar that will actually fit in there and be able to move enough to flick the star wheel up or down.
Diagram from the side:

(the arrow direction in the image is for loosening when doing a brake job):

Also when doing a brake job its often a good idea to back the star wheel off a bit so you can get the rear rotors off easier (if they're tough to get off, don't first goto a rubber mallet like I did! you'll kill the wheel bearing)

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo TZ1A
24 Posts
Good thread. Just about when I need the info.

One question: when jacked up how freely should the wheels turn (whole rear in the air)? I understand there would some resistance from the diff but I had to use quite a lot of force to rotate them and it was after slackening the e-brake shoes.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup. The whole rotor splash guard is just rust, can't imageine what the rest would be like. I'd rather not risk stripping it, and it broke one of my 14mm(or whatever it was) sockets! I'll just tell my dad to get it fixed next time he takes it in for anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts