Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Anyone has any experience with oil burners?

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  ratboy01 
#1 ·
My wife's 120d emmits a puff of grey/black smoke when you start it up after it has been sitting overnight.

Also, during those 2-3s it sounds as if it is running on 3 or a bit rough.

Afterwards, if I switch the engine off and back on it doesn't do it and it's smooth so I am guessing it may be a leaky injector.

Can the diesel injectors be ultrasonically cleaned like the petrol ones?

Also because she doesn't drive the car hard, the first time I take it and floor it, there is black smoke from the back for 10s (provided you keep your foot on the floor for that amount of time - it is very funny to smoke bumper tailgaters :biggrin:), after that no matter how I drive it is all clear.

Is that normal?

My guess that's just carbon build up in the combustion chamber, or?

I bought this and will see if it makes a difference.

For what it's worth, the car has had the swirl flaps removed in the last service.

It also boosts fine and fuel economy is good.

I am just getting worried if it is a worn turbo, what would the symptoms of that be or do you have any other ideas what to check?

Cheers!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #8 · (Edited)
How many miles has it done??

worth a read
Diesel injector cleaning | Motoring | RACQ
87k but it has FSH.
I've had a read at the article, thanks.
May be worth having the injectors checked then depending on how much this costs; I don't really want to start spending on this car unless it is absolutely necessary and plan to run it to the ground :O
It doesn't really bother me as after a couple of s the car runs fine but if checking the injectors won't break the bank I might do it.

The wifes 2008 520D isn't the smoothest on start up, but then again alot of diesels are a bit rattly til they get a bit of heat in them. My old Jeep, which i'm replacing with the Foz, sounds like a bag of spanners on start up, but always has.The black soot will more than likely just be carbon build up, when the mother in law uses our car for any length of time, as she never drives over 50mph anywhere, the check engine LED on the dash usually illuminates as the DPF will be getting choked up, driving at 70mph on the motorway for 30 mins or so usually clears this up as well.
Just a thought that could it be the glow plugs maybe not the best, hence a bit rough for the 1st few seconds then ok once heat has got into them?
It is a 2005 model so doesn't have a DPF I think.

as above, the wynns stuff is ok to.

if its grey smoke aal the time i would worry, black just build up.
im on my 10 {ish] diesel and most of them are like that, even the last 350 merc did that if i poodled round in it.

and i belive?? there is a place on ebay offers a injector cleaning service??

just read that don, makes a lot of sence.
there was a garage round by me, made national news a few years back buy mixing there diesel with carosen [spelling]. that stuff is not kind to your engine after a while.
I think I read on the bottle of the Wynns that it contains kerosene!
Isn't that used in airplanes?
Does that mean the car will fly now? :biggrin:
I did 150 miles today and the car seems to have cleared up nicely and seems to be more more economic than before, probably due to the additive I guess.
I'll see tomorrow morning how it starts.

if its a greyish smoke on startup I would say glowplug as its also running on 3 cylinders.

with regards to the chuffs of black I find that all BMW diesels seem to do it, as long as its not blue or white your laughing!!

might be worth you cleaning the EGR for good measure though (or blanking it off makes more sense)
Yes greyish on startup and black (to the point of not being able to see from the back window for a few s :biggrin:) the first time I accelerate hard after my wife has been pottering about in the car for weeks.

I believe the EGR must have been cleaned and some sort of filter changed (I can't remember its name) when the intake manifold was removed to remove the swirls flaps.

Thanks everyone for the help and if you have more ideas, keep them coming!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.