Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got some new General Altimax rt43 from the dealer at 32k to replace stock. Had regular tire rotations since then.

So got oil change at a different oil repair shop and they're saying at 54k miles - around 22k total miles - the tread on my tires is rear: 5/32 Tread Left, front 4/32 Tread Left. ***. Going back to dealer and get a warranty going. Anyone else had this happen? No more Generals for me. Pretty sure they're supposed to go around 50 or 60k.

Edit: whoops now the shop is saying I have a blown strut - wonder if that would account for excessive wear?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Last year, I bought a set of RT43s for my wife's car through my Kia dealer. (price matched lowest price) About a month later, I was driving it and ran over a sharp chunk of metal and got a flat. Hit the edge of the tread and up the sidewall, so not repairable. Dealer got a replacement tire from the same local dealer, and when I went to pay, there was no charge. The local distributor includes 6 months of road hazard with new tires.

I'm happy with that.

I've bought about 5 sets of the RT43s for various cars in the past 10 years, and all have lasted 50K-60K miles and still had tread on them when I replaced. They are very good in snow, too.

·
Registered
314 Posts
RidingWV,
That’s a heck of an endorsement considering you drive on very hilly, windy roads which are tough on tire wear.
I’m in western PA and no matter what brands I’ve purchased over the past 40 yrs, I’ve never been able to get more than 70% of the advertised mileage ( e.g. only realized 40,000 miles on a 60,000 mile tire on my Mazda 6)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Premature tire failure can be from many things. In the past I paid for tire rotations that I caught were not really done (I for years covertly number each wheel so I know.) The Service Manager would be asked to put the car right back on the lift!
A blown strut could badly accelerate wear-out. A bad wheel alignment will accelerate.
But I am interested that you had to replace the OEM Geolanders at 34k, I just got rid of mine at 48k and had even abused them with a delayed wheel alignment. So you had something going on, maybe a bad strut was it.
I replaced with the Firestone Firehawks as at my Mavis they were a much better deal than the Generals, though first they gave me "but those are out of stock" garbage. So I said they had to cut the price on the others. Then they said, OK, we'll find four Firestones," and next day I had them. Good for 60k, Generals for 70k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts