Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Not saying.lol forwards and backwards
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a long night last night, police knocking at the door trying to convince us to vacate every 20 mins, Living on Yarmouth sea front we are right in the floods path. I went out at 2245 last night to have a look and the area of the beach where I was digging only a few hours earlier to fill sand bag,s was at least 3ft under water!!
Luckily the night went and daylight came and we were spared the water came as far as the back of the pleasure beach approx. 100-150m from my front door step, but coming home from work today I saw many who wasn't as fortunate.

Good luck and hope all is well to anyone else in this situation. Just one more warning to go then we can sleep easier again.

·
Registered
98 sf - gls manual
1,119 Posts
us people who live in the dry parts are lucky, makes you think when you see what does happen out there :(

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one more high tide and surge expected at 22.45 again but as all the police and fire brigades are slowly departing my guess is nothing to fuss over, but then again

"Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way... well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't!".
Michael Fish, October 1987!!

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
2,015 Posts
No thank goodness as ive moved from good old Norfolk to the bonny highlands of Scotland .....they'll not get me up here as in 1300ft above sea level , my best goes to all my m8's i left behind tho :(

·
Registered
2015 XT CVT.....sadly !
1,199 Posts
No thank goodness as ive moved from good old Norfolk to the bonny highlands of Scotland .....they'll not get me up here as in 1300ft above sea level , my best goes to all my m8's i left behind tho :(
Yup, I'm high ground too....

As much as I'd like a sea view, I'll settle for not not living in a flood area.

Feel sorry for those affected, must be truly awful

·
Registered
2006 Sold
1,012 Posts
Just watching the One Show, houses on the edge at Hemsby? Cameras at one house early last night, the couple went off to a fund raising event in the pub and returned to their house disappearing into the sea. Heartbreaking for them.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
2,015 Posts
Ah Hemsby that brings back memories ....what was the club called there ...Angel dust or sumink?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just watching the One Show, houses on the edge at Hemsby? Cameras at one house early last night, the couple went off to a fund raising event in the pub and returned to their house disappearing into the sea. Heartbreaking for them.
ironic part of the story is was fund raising for flood defences! :icon_frown:

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
2,015 Posts
Whats the weather like atm Dan?

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
I live below sea level but have a good local ditch management organisation. I hope they don't get it wrong!

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,975 Posts
Blimey, that is bad isn't it.

Poor buggers.

We are lucky as we live on the edge of the Downs. If we get flooded then the South East is in done for!

·
Registered
2009 FXT TTT 5MT
258 Posts
I've spent a lot of time in Hemsby and it was always just a matter of time for those houses / huts. It can't be a surprise as that has happened regularly in the past. Very unfortunate I must say though and I do feel for them.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Turbo Manual
797 Posts
one more high tide and surge expected at 22.45 again but as all the police and fire brigades are slowly departing my guess is nothing to fuss over, but then again

"Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way... well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't!".
Michael Fish, October 1987!!
To be fair, if you listen to that carefully it's obvious that he was going to carry on but was cut off. The ending is very abrupt, which implies that he was drawing breath to carry on with his statement. Apparently he did go on to warn of strong winds and advise people to prepare later in the forecast.

I often wonder who Fish must have upset in the corridors of media power that this (obviously edited) clip gets trotted out every time we have wild weather or a programme about weather forecasting!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts