Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's it like? How far is it from London? Are there many local schools?

The wife and I have been considering a possible relocation opportunity that may drop us in that neck of the woods for a while.

Also, how does the car tax thing work in the UK. Someone had mentioned that motorcycles don't have to pay road tax, but I didn't know if that were true or not.

Any insight?

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
About 2hrs driving , 1hr 30 on the train.

Tax ( or Vehicle Excise Duty ) is on a sliding scale based on emissions. Bikes pay a reduced rate. Expect to be scared sh*tless the first time you visit a petrol station.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yikes! The job is actually in Southampton, but we would like to visit London and was curious if it was something that could be considered a "day trip".

So maybe a cheap old diesel wouldn't be the best choice when considering a vehicle to drive. To save a few bucks, I'd probably ride the motorcycle every day and my wife would drive.

What does fuel cost over there?

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
Very much a day trip, on the train is easy.

Plenty of cheap cars about if you don't do any miles then a diesel's extra purchase cost doesn't make sense.

about 8 bucks a gallon.....

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We'd probably do a few hundred miles a month. I guess car pricing would be something to do when we got there.

8... pounds? Or 8usd? And whose gallon are we talking about? That's quite expensive!

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
8... pounds? Or 8usd? And whose gallon are we talking about? That's quite expensive!
Check petrolprices.com... Search Results for southampton - PetrolPrices.com

114p per litre = about $7 per US gallon. (Try putting "1.14 GBP per litre in USD per US gallon" into Google).

I wouldn't worry about fuel cost too much. Distances tend to be shorter here. Also there is a wider choice of efficient cars in general than in the US; there will be plenty of affordable choices on the used market that would net you 40-50mpg (imperial).

-- Steve

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
I live pretty close to Southampton (30 mins)

getting to London is the easy bit!... getting through London is the nightmare!

southampton has plenty of schools / colleges / University etc

car tax is expensive - fuel is ridiculously expensive - Last year fuel went up so much it was almost $10 a gallon. my boss almost knocked back my expenses because he didnt believe it cost $180 to fill my van up with fuel!

·
Registered
2001 S-Turbo
10 Posts
Southampton dweller here, lived all across the city in my time, grew up on the edge of the New Forest and gradually moved across to the East outskirts now.

Nice place compared to some other citys i have visited (but thats could be that i am biased :icon_razz: )

Again with schools, some good some bad, lots of schools as its a big place but you will need to do some research on catchment areas as these are quite strict (especially the good ones), google will help you, there are also school 'league' tables available online. bear in mind these probably will also include fee paying schools with especially good scores...

Is your job setting you up with a place or are you going to have to sort that from afar? Feel free to PM me with any specific questions on this area i will answer what i can :icon_biggrin:

I would post a link but can't as i have not done 15 posts yet but check out the DVLA website for the lowdown on car/motorbike tax prices.

The British goverment website is helpful for all sorts of things and this is www . direct . gov . uk

Probably worth doing a bit of investigation into insurance prices as well, plus think you will have to take our driving test at somepoint if here for more than a year (may be wrong but again should be on DVLA website)

G

·
Southampton also has the largest population of polish, only second to poland itself, they even have their own football team :biggrin:
I like the place, has a university too and good road and rail links to London, although I wouldn't drive it..

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Southampton also has the largest population of polish, only second to poland itself, they even have their own football team :biggrin:
I like the place, has a university too and good road and rail links to London, although I wouldn't drive it..
I kinda like the Polish.... at least they work (even if it is for peanuts), unlike all the others claiming off our benefit system!!!

·
Registered
2014 Audi S4 Black Ed Semi auto
439 Posts
I lived In Chandlers Ford, just north of Southampton for the years. For the last year I worked in London, but my wife worked in Southampton itself.

The area between Southampton and Winchester (excluding Eastleigh) is (was 10years ago) alright, with some very nice estates. I lived in one called the Valley Park.

The Airport has its own train station, and trains used to reach London Waterloo in 67 minutes, which is very quick considering the distance. Unfortunately, getting to the city involves the Waterloo and city line, which is much like a cattle truck.

Getting into and out of Southampton in rush hour can take up to 30minutes, which puts a London commute into perspective. Once you get there public parking was expensive.
However, if you have staff parking that may not be an issue??
If not consider moving slightly further afield and getting the train to work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts