Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week, I gave my 2014 2.5i CVT a good bit of gas to pass a slow car on a two lane road. Instead of revving to 4kish RPMs then gradually increasing like usual, the RPMs flew up and I bounced off what felt like the rev limiter twice before it went to normal.

I’m used to having (and occasionally hitting) a rev limiter on manual cars, but I’ve never hit one on an automatic. Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe you hit the fake shift points?
Does the 2014 have fake shift points? I test drove a new Crosstrek and it definitely was pretending to have shift points. On my 2014, it never drops RPM until I let go of the gas. It either increases or stays the same.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
951 Posts
Depending on engine load, road speed, and my right foot position and abruptness of stomping the gas, mine sometimes jumps up in engine RPMs, other times it kinda slow to medium rpm increase. 2015 here, so thankfully no fake shiftpoint crap. If it does it again and you feel it's odd, can't hurt to have it checked out and post up here what the findings are.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
999 Posts
I had some problems with a dealer repair that caused my engine to die on the highway. When I reattached the pipe to the intercooler I wanted to test the engine before putting covers back on and loading luggage back into the car, so I revved it in P. The engine went up to 4-5 k and hit the rev limiter, but that was in P not driving like in your example. I had it at that rpm for only a second or two.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
951 Posts
Yes, mine will rev limit like Botnik said, but only in Park or Neutral when revving the engine.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
796 Posts
XT will hit rev limiter in S# manual mode, bounce back and stay around 6k RPM. It will not upshift...
Not 100% sure, but I don’t think that 2.5 CVT will let you hit it under any conditions. If it happens again, I would definitely check it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts