Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 X
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went skiing at Abasin on Friday, and a storm blew in during my last lift ride up. I got onto Loveland pass as fast as I could, and we had to stop for a minute near the top when it was literally white-out. They had the "road closed" gate halfway down when we got to the bottom of the other side, and cotrip.org said they actually closed the pass minutes before I got on.

Anyway on the way down, it took me a while to realize that the weird stumbling noise I was hearing was my own car, during engine breaking. I could also hear it a little under load back on I-70, and didn't hear it when I was off the gas in gear. Anyone ever get this? It did take a few extra cranks to start, which happened before at a 14'er trailhead, maybe because of the thin air making the engine act like it was flooded. And a storm blowing in usually means low pressure? The car's acting normal again at 5280 feet.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I had my '09 n/a Forester up over Wolf Creek Pass (10,863 ft / 3,311 m) and Monarch Pass (twice; 11,312 ft / 3,448 m) last summer. The poor ol' Soob was gasping for breath, but it was runnin' smoothly with no "stumbling" issues.

Hope you get it sorted out!
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
486 Posts
Moisture in the fuel? There are quite a few factors that could have been playing a role for the problem (low baro pressure, low temp, high altitude, bad gas, etc...). Loveland Pass is 12,000ft so yeah, it's pretty extreme when the weather hits up there (and it hits fast). I wouldn't lose much sleep over it if it was just noise or minor stumble :cool:

Btw, I drove over the pass twice last week in the company's trucks. Beautiful!! (my first time through there) :cool:

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 x LTD
43 Posts
What kind of fuel are you putting in? I'm a recent transplant and noticed "Regular" gas around here is 85, not 87 octane. I'm wondering if the auto manufacturers realize this and say you can put "Regular" fuel in (but their sticker may say 87 octane next to the little calculation thing).

I've had no problems highway driving Denver-Vail on i-70. Well, except I'm breaking-in the engine and can't go over 4,000 RPM's which means I get to drive in the right lane going 45 up some steeper grades. :icon_mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts