Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Limited
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm still trying to figure out the best time to buy a new Forester. I've posted on other threads but I'm still undecided so I thought I'd start my own.

I'm currently driving a 2004 Turbo with just over 200,000 miles. Part of me wants to hold on to it and see just how many miles it will last. But as several people have already told me (Subaru lovers included)...nothing lasts forever. I feel like I'm on borrowed time at this point. I'm getting a little leary about taking it on long trips. I go back and forth to NY often - about 3 hours each way and I drive home late in the evening by myself. What I don't want to have happen is to have it break down - get stuck somewhere - have an issue that it doesn't pay to repair - have NO CAR to get to work - have to rent a car - and then have to buy a new one rush rush. Then I may not get the interest rate I want, the color I want (absolutely must have the pearl white) or be able to wheel and deal between different dealerships to get the best price because I won't have the time.

I'm trying to figure out what I can expect. So what I want to know is...is there anyone else out there who's driven over 200,000 miles? If so, how many miles? What types of problems can I expect? What made you sell/trade in yours, or are you still driving it?

Thanks in advance for the input. You guys are great!!!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Our '98 S has 219k miles and is still running strong. Yes, it's had the obligatory head gasket replacement, and the engine has been completely resealed at least once. It's the only car of that mileage that I've ever seen that doesn't leak a drop of oil.

My '04 XT has over 140k miles and shows no signs of slowing down either. Both cars will be driven till the wheels fall off and then some, which might still be a long ways off. :biggrin:

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
wife totaled the first '00. traded the second for present '04 because it was getting time to do HG/reseal and I didn't particularly like that exact car for a variety of reasons (had to buy quickly, interior overly worn, not favorite color, etc.) just had HG/reseal and new clutch on the '04 at 86k due to external oil leak from HG.

the motor should be fine a bit longer than 200k if you're not burning oil. if you're worried about being stranded i would suggest starting on campaign to slowly replace things that break - cheaper than a car payment. keep a good battery, maybe change the alternator if you've no idea it's age. water pump, oil pump reseal, timing components and engine reseal a good idea with a HG job if never been done before.

at some point repairs will "not be worth it" compared to resale value, especially if you're paying to have all the labor done and if you happened to get in an accident soon after spending a lot of money. however that's not all that likely depending on your commute. i plan to try getting 300k out of mine.

i don't like newer foresters 2009+. might consider an outback. if i'm going to keep driving subarus at some point i'll either have to get a short block for mine or find another (preferably 2004) to rebuild/repair at my leisure when i can do most of the work and save $. I would go for V6 5spd Rav4 if buying a 2009+ vehicle.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
my last Forester was at 218K miles when I traded it in, motor and trans ran strong the whole time but the front end started making noise and I finally was at a point where I could buy my first brand new car ever so I did. I never did the head gasket on it but I bought it at 40K so it may or may not have been done before I bought it but doubt it. I also didn't replace the timing belt till about 180K and since I was driving 3K miles a month I did the oil change around every 8-10K miles and I will say I beat the ever living hell out of it and it loved it.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,689 Posts
I would go for V6 5spd Rav4 if buying a 2009+ vehicle.
I'd prefer a vehicle whose acceleration I KNOW I can control AT ALL TIMES WITHOUT ANY FAILURES. Just my .02, and why I'll stick with Subarus - new, used, doesn't matter...

To answer the OP's question, there is no doubt in my mind that you'd be good for at least another 100k miles, as long as you do the timing belt replacement on time, and keep up with the maintenance.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
My rule is always, keep on driving it till something major happens. Once the repair exceeds the value of the car dump it and get a new one. But think about it if the car will last another 6 months that's 6 months without higher insurance, without car payment, I am surre with that money you could buy rebuild engine ;) within a year. It always makes sense to drive old car till it drops dead than buying new one before that happens. Onother thing to consider is that with that saving you won't need to price shop that much because any saving you would already recup by sticking with the old car. As well there is more than one Sub delear in this country and the rule is if one dose not have what you want the other one will ;).

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
I'd prefer a vehicle whose acceleration I KNOW I can control AT ALL TIMES WITHOUT ANY FAILURES. Just my .02, and why I'll stick with Subarus - new, used, doesn't matter...

To answer the OP's question, there is no doubt in my mind that you'd be good for at least another 100k miles, as long as you do the timing belt replacement on time, and keep up with the maintenance.
drive by wire is that, toyota or not. all companies are susceptible of having software, actuator, or other glitches causing problems.

in fact it's a great time to buy a toyota right now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts