Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I only get to drive to my car every 2 weeks or so due to working away I am getting withdrawal symptoms!

I SORNed it in the end of November as I thought it won't get driven or needed much in December but I am now reconsidering my decision.

I know it's only a thing and many will consider me crazy but the feeling you get from it at times when you are driving it alone on that perfect twisty road cannot be described.

Maybe I am just a sad person :icon_confused: or do I need help? :biggrin:

Anyone else shares my thoughts?

P.S. Watching videos of hatchback and saloon Spec Cs on youtube while you are not able to drive your own car doesn't help!

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,972 Posts
Drive mine every day, but that has its own drawbacks as it doesn't feel at all special... particularly as the only other car I drive is a PPP Impreza.

I need to drive a boring car every now and then to remind myself!

·
Registered
2004 looking 6 MT
262 Posts
I was only able to look at my foz sat in the garage for 6 weeks after an operation left me unable to drive,was'nt much fun. Great to get back in again though. Got to do it all over again next month though so another 6 week break for the beasty. I feel your pain!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know what you mean Gareth.

Daily commute on busy boring roads makes one hate driving no matter what you drive. In fact a boring auto car might be more suitable for such conditions.

Many moons ago I used to commute from Newbury to Basingstoke via the A339 in a 1.0 205 (and later AX), the anticipation of driving that road made my day.

No rev counter, skinny 135/80/13 Michelin tyres and new Monroe shocks allround and the fun from the tin-car was immense!

Cocobongo, I hope all goes well with your operation.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium CVT
6 Posts
I've had my car for less than 2 months. driving with the sunroof shade open had corrected my circadian rhythm and I was sleeping great, just great. Well, I'm back in the groove and only go out every few days and its awful. Can't sleep, then don't wake up.

I need a outside job so I have somewhere to drive. Yes, this is a really bad form of withdrawal.

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
Drove mine for 700 miles straight yesterday on the way home! I drove up to Perth via Carstins in Balsall Common on Monday and then went here to visit sites on Tuesday.

Perth
Braemar
Aberdeen
Forfar
Montrose
Arbroath
Dundee
Perth
Glenrothes
Newport

If I didn't do this I'd miss my car big time!

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5XT Auto
20 Posts
Withdrawal symptoms - yes. My S-Turbo was off the road for about 5 months so no car at all. When funds allowed, looked at all makes of cars including a Legacy, ended up at a Subaru garage and drove another Legacy and then the Fozzie XT - very much like coming home. Partly the performance; partly to do with the driving position; partly the sound (AFAIK there's something about the Legacy exhaust that masks the flat four burble), mainly it's still such a unique vehicle.

Got it home and a relative said said he knew I'd get another Forester...

·
Registered
1999 STB Automatic
1,558 Posts
Watching videos of hatchback and saloon Spec Cs on youtube while you are not able to drive your own car doesn't help!
Very true, nor will it help to visit forums like this or even think about your car, or indeed any other car for that matter with more than 100hp.

In fact you need to completely temporarily transform how you regard cars like an FSTI as being horrible, smelly, expensive, driven by morons and generally very very bad.

You will then feel good about not having to drive it, until you get back from your work, and then switch your mind back to normal again and enjoy :icon_cool:

The only slight downside is that you may fail to transform your temporary state of mind back to normal and then forever end up hating cars like the one you own and end up selling it for a ridiculously cheap price just to get shot of it. Please pm me if this actually happens to you. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,972 Posts
In fact a boring auto car might be more suitable for such conditions.
How about a non-boring (although German) semi-auto? :icon_wink:

Currently putting a plan together for just such a change mid to late 2014. It's a way off, but you have to plan ahead! :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Currently putting a plan together for just such a change mid to late 2014. It's a way off, but you have to plan ahead! :biggrin:
Beemer M? :biggrin:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
AMG?

When I first started commuting on the train I missed driving a lot... Thankfully, I now get to ride both ends of the journey - I'd go mental if I wasn't self-propelled for at least some of the journey!

·
Registered
2004 FSTI 6 MT
140 Posts

If it's a 'Semi' automatic, it will be from the evil galactic VAG empire? :icon_evil:

Whatever it is, you'll regret it. Those boxes never know what gear to be in, and the dumbed down chassis response will send you to sleep!!

Did I mention I'm not a fan :icon_razz:

Could be a cure for Fivos condition though - You'll never miss not driving a VAG.....

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
If it's a 'Semi' automatic, it will be from the evil galactic VAG empire? :icon_evil:

Whatever it is, you'll regret it. Those boxes never know what gear to be in, and the dumbed down chassis response will send you to sleep!!

Did I mention I'm not a fan :icon_razz:

Could be a cure for Fivos condition though - You'll never miss not driving a VAG.....
^ as above.

VAG = soulless lumps of dullard focus group lead, middle of the road crud.

The only exceptions are 911s, Lambos and at a stretch, the odd S/RS (though even then, I still think there are better choices out there). Even the R8 is just a machine to fill a marketing niche at the end of the day.

Everything else they make may be competent but, ultimately it's un-remarkable and best left for the drones to consume. But hey, don't let us burst you're bubble Alistair :biggrin:

·
Registered
2017 BRZ Manual
436 Posts
As Coco mentioned I also spent a long long time 'off the road'. I was nearly crippled by an accident in 2008 and couldn't drive for nearly a year. I loved the vehicle I drove at the time but I christened it 'Christine' as the vehicle 'could' of prevented my accident' but it didn't:furious: ! Long story but it was sold as soon as I could drive again but I defo got driving withdrawals big time then !

My Fsti will be going in the garage next week for 'winter' (whatever that turns out to be this time around ?) and I know I will miss driving her but as I have a nice comfy winter prepped semi auto to spend the winter months wafting around in I think I will survive :bananapartyhat:

Its not Diesel, it aint sluggish and its not German !

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
As Coco mentioned I also spent a long long time 'off the road'. I was nearly crippled by an accident in 2008 and couldn't drive for nearly a year. I loved the vehicle I drove at the time but I christened it 'Christine' as the vehicle 'could' of prevented my accident' but it didn't:furious: ! Long story but it was sold as soon as I could drive again but I defo got driving withdrawals big time then !

My Fsti will be going in the garage next week for 'winter' (whatever that turns out to be this time around ?) and I know I will miss driving her but as I have a nice comfy winter prepped semi auto to spend the winter months wafting around in I think I will survive :bananapartyhat:

Its not Diesel, it aint sluggish and its not German !
Is it a Lexus?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts