Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
07 Forester
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a crave for bbb and bought a rack of ribs at Costco... by the time I got home, I remembered that I need a smoker to cook this up. I only have a bbq grill. Throw this thing in the oven-broiler or drag myself to sears and find the cheapest smoker (which I may or may not use again)?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
We seem to get good results on the BBQ at the North Bay install days. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Depends on your style. Sometimes I par-boil them for about 5 minutes, sometimes not. definitely slow cook them - keep the heat around 350 on the propane BBQ, and rub them with your seasonings first (or after par-boiling them). Watch the flames, because they can char them if you're not careful. Only during the last 5 minutes on the grill should you place a THIN layer of sauce - more of a glazing than a smothering. Don't let the sauce burn on the ribs, or you'll have a charred mess.

·
Registered
2011 Volvo XC60 Auto
554 Posts
Cant believe that a Brit has to tell you guys how to cook ribs :wink:
To be fair tho I was taught to cook ribs by a very good friend of mine from St Louis

dry rub them....loads of brown sugar, paprika, some smoked paprika (depending on how hot you like things) onion and garlic granules salt and pepper and put them in the fridge overnight. Heat your oven to 180 C (I’ll let you convert that to English :wink: ) put the ribs on a rack (bone side down) over a tray with 1/4" of water in the bottom and cover with foil....put the tray in the oven and after 15 - 20 minutes turn the heat down to 120 C. Leave them in there for 4 hours or so, don't let the water run out, but dont add too much as this is your sauce.

Take the tray from the oven, put the ribs on the BBQ, and brush on the sauce as you finish cook them caramelising the sauce

Takes a while, but well worth it, no fat and the meat falls off the bone

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts
180 degrees Celsius equals 356 degrees Fahrenheit. :biggrin:

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Cant believe that a Brit has to tell you guys how to cook ribs :wink:
To be fair tho I was taught to cook ribs by a very good friend of mine from St Louis

dry rub them....loads of brown sugar, paprika, some smoked paprika (depending on how hot you like things) onion and garlic granules salt and pepper and put them in the fridge overnight. Heat your oven to 180 C (I’ll let you convert that to English :wink: ) put the ribs on a rack (bone side down) over a tray with 1/4" of water in the bottom and cover with foil....put the tray in the oven and after 15 - 20 minutes turn the heat down to 120 C. Leave them in there for 4 hours or so, don't let the water run out, but dont add too much as this is your sauce.

Take the tray from the oven, put the ribs on the BBQ, and brush on the sauce as you finish cook them caramelising the sauce

Takes a while, but well worth it, no fat and the meat falls off the bone
my rub is different but the technique is the same pretty much. instead of water, i use a sauce, which i also eventually continuously brush over the ribs as they slow cook on the grill. well, i guess you use it the same way actually :lol:

make sure you don't have it in there so long that the caramelized exterior becomes too crunchy.. i like to have it so that the crunch is like a paper thin layer and the rest is pure juicy meat.

·
Registered
2011 Volvo XC60 Auto
554 Posts
We dont get good BBQ sauce here...or at least if we do I haven't found one. Fortunately I get to the US quite a bit, so bring plenty back with me for the odd occasions that it's not raining and I can use the BBQ :icon_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Only thing I can add is to try to seal up the container in the oven. At a roadhouse I worked at, we put one layer of foil, then plastic wrap, the lid, and then foil again. We slow cooked ours for 8:icon_eek: hours. The biggest secret to fall off the bone ribs is to cut x patterns through the connective tissue on the bone side before cooking.

I love good ribs, but they are so much work I just go out now.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Only thing I can add is to try to seal up the container in the oven. At a roadhouse I worked at, we put one layer of foil, then plastic wrap, the lid, and then foil again. We slow cooked ours for 8:icon_eek: hours. The biggest secret to fall off the bone ribs is to cut x patterns through the connective tissue on the bone side before cooking.

I love good ribs, but they are so much work I just go out now.
Nice tip on the x patterns. I will have to try that next time!

I seal up the container too. Did you guys poke holes into it? Or just seal it completely?

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
I followed this recipe a number of times and they are great:

PORK SPARERIBS
INGREDIENTS
1kg ribs
1litre bbq sauce
garlic, ginger, chilli, to taste
honey/golden syrup
soy sauce
fish sauce
worcestershire sauce

Get your spare ribs as lean as possible, you can use baby back ribs or beef ribs , it's up to you!

Boil the ribs in water for 15 mins, add a little salt, this gets rid of a little fat and softens any gristle or bone a bit. strain in a collander.

Mix all the liquid ingredients thoroughly, add sauces to taste.

Place ribs flat in a baking tray(a disposable tray saves a clean up!)

Pour soy sauce over each rib giving it a light coating then add a light coat of honey/syrup. Allow to sit for a few minutes.

Then pour liquid mixture over all the ribs to a depth that just covers them, cover with clingwrap and let marinade in a cool place for anything over 20 mins( all day is fine in the fridge).

Place baking dish in an oven (etc) for about 40 mins at 180 degrees.

Serve with potato bake .....mmmmmmmmm. Rich flavour!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Easy, Quick, Melt in your Mouth, To Die for Ribs

Ingredients:

1-2 gallons of quality apple juice depending upon amount of ribs and size of pot.

2-4 tablespoons Liquid Smoke to add to apple juice.

1-2 bottles of your favorite BBQ sauce depending upon amount of ribs.

Baby back ribs cut into smaller sections, 2 to 4 ribs each which makes them easier to boil evenly.

Cooking:

Place cut ribs into large pot of boiling apple juice with the liquid smoke added and boil for 45 minutes to 1 hour until fully cooked and then remove from pot and cool ribs to room temperature.

Rub the rib sections all over with your favorite BBQ sauce and and let stand for another 15 minutes to 1/2 hour.

Place ribs on a BBQ grill or broil for several minutes in the oven to caramelize BBQ sauce and serve. The amount you cook them depends upon how dark you like the sauce, I like mine a little charred on the outside which is easy to achieve on a really hot grill or even with the broiler turned on high.

Evaluation:

These ribs are so good you will want to eat them after they have been boiled and I have but they are that much better after the BBQ sauce and charring. They fall off the bone and people beg for the recipe after trying them and when they find out how easy they are to cook they do and this recipe has many converts who traditionally don't bother cooking ribs at all.

Tips:

You can also seal them up in zip lock bags after the initial cooking and BBQ basting and wait to char these ribs on the grill the next day at a picnic or tailgate party and people will wonder how the heck you cooked ribs so good in 15 minutes, just take a bit of extra BBQ sauce with you to baste them if too much sauce rubs off in the bag.

Happy 4th everyone.

·
Registered
2008 Forester sports xt
108 Posts
I do a similar dry rub as above and slow cook them on my grill (~4 hours) I use and oak pit BBQ and red oak. To increase the smoke I strip the bark from the the wood and soak it in water over night. Periodically I add pieces of the bark to the coals during the cooking process. I also fill a spray bottle with apple juice and give the ribs an occasional misting as they cook. The apple juice reduces and combines with the dry rub. By the time they are done they are sticky and saucy, no need for additional sauce. You can't go wrong with those costco BB ribs. I just picked up a couple packages for the 4th!

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Lotsa wylde ideas here...making bbq a personalized technique. I was born in tennessee, raised in texas, and spent many summers further up the mississippi in st. louis. I worked at a bbq joint in seattle while in high school, & later went on to culinary school (before it was a fad).

Few key points...clean ribside by removing silverskin, dry rub, slow cook on looow heat, carmelize/finish with sauce at high heat for last 20-30 min.

Ribs are universal...coat with southern, asian, indian spices.
If using oven, cover with parchment and foil for 2-3 hrs @225-250 farenheit

If using grill (mo-bettah) put soaked mesquite/apple/hickory chip in a tray on lowest heat...place ribs on off side. Intermediately spray with apple juice, and add chips. This process can take 3-4 hrs depending on tenderness desired..so go to beach, wash your car, ride a bike..etc.

basic bbq sauce:
ketchup
brown sugar
molasses
vinegar
worchestershire
garlic powder
s&p
tabasco

cook on low for 30-45 min & everything is properly seasoned

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
156 Posts
I usually do a dry rub (of your choice, but mine is heavy on brown sugar) the night before in an aluminum baking tray, then I'd pour in a bottle/can of beer into the tray, seal it tightly with foil (make sure you crimp all the edges), then bake at 250ºF for 2.5 to 3 hours. By then, the ribs should be falling off the bone already. To finish them I throw them on the grill and pour on store bought BBQ sauce to carmelize the sauce. Very easy!

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Lotsa wylde ideas here...making bbq a personalized technique. I was born in tennessee, raised in texas, and spent many summers further up the mississippi in st. louis. I worked at a bbq joint in seattle while in high school, & later went on to culinary school (before it was a fad).

Few key points...clean ribside by removing silverskin, dry rub, slow cook on looow heat, carmelize/finish with sauce at high heat for last 20-30 min.

Ribs are universal...coat with southern, asian, indian spices.
If using oven, cover with parchment and foil for 2-3 hrs @225-250 farenheit

If using grill (mo-bettah) put soaked mesquite/apple/hickory chip in a tray on lowest heat...place ribs on off side. Intermediately spray with apple juice, and add chips. This process can take 3-4 hrs depending on tenderness desired..so go to beach, wash your car, ride a bike..etc.

basic bbq sauce:
ketchup
brown sugar
molasses
vinegar
worchestershire
garlic powder
s&p
tabasco

cook on low for 30-45 min & everything is properly seasoned
You forgot a step.
-Invite local SF.o folks over for a meet to grub on them ribs. :lol: