Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently driving a Gen 4 (2012) Outback, and considering downsizing a bit to a 2019-2010 Forester. Obviously, I'll have a power drop, as my Outback is a 3.6R model, but what about the rest of the experience. I know my wife's '18 Crosstrek drives really well, dare I say more buttoned down than my Outback. The newer electronics are nice, and truth be told I like the simpler knobs for the climate control vs the buttons on the Outback. (Of course the 15-19 Outback had knobs, the 2020 is mostly touch-screen).

If you made the switch, especially if it was from a 2010-2014 or early Gen 5 (2015-2017), how was the experience?

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,463 Posts
Outback is more refined, and sits completely differently inside because of the seats and lower roof. Also, the Outback feels longer.

I might have to consider getting the Outback XT in 2021 if they don't do a Forester XT by then.

·
Registered
2012 Outback
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2020 Outback does sit higher....noticeably, it was obvious when I sat in a 2020 Premium earlier in the week. The bad news is that, at least on the Premium trim, the driver's seat doesn't go back as far as in prior models. I was actually wishing for another 1/2 inch or so of rearward travel. In my '12, I don't reach the pedals easily with the seat completely back and have it an inch from the farthest back point. In the 5th Gen, it's good all the way back, and in that 2020, I think there's more leg room in my wife's '18 Crosstrek! Headroom was fantastic, the seating position is a bit higher, maybe a good inch to an inch and half, compared to my '12 (Limited).

I'll admit some concern over most functionality being contained in that very nice head-unit, should it fail. Plan to try a Limited and/or Onyx as well, as just maybe their seats have more adjustment front to back than those in the Premium. Interior is nice, different than the faux brushed aluminum, but very nice. Soft touch nearly everywhere. - Car was in the showroom, and I didn't have a chance to drive it. (They had NO Foresters on the lot, not a one that wasn't already sold).

Good news is I'm in no real hurry, the 3.6 only has 65.7k on the odometer, and I might just tighten up the front end (bet those end-links are shot again), and maybe toss on new struts/shocks, upgrade the factory Nav to a Kenwood with Android Auto, and call it a day or a couple of years. - Maybe even a lift, to make it easier to get in/out of. (My speedometer is getting close to 60, and a little more seat height would be welcome, for those of us vertically challenged).

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sports
25 Posts
We had an '08 Forester for 8 years. My wife traded it for a '15 Outback. In April we traded that car for our S5, but she missed having a Scooby in the family. Yesterday we picked up a '20 Forester Touring after driving a Crosstrek, a '20 Limited and a '20 Outback XT. The Outback was quick, and it felt nice, but we both agree that we liked the Forester more. Compared to the Outback, driving the Forester is like driving an aquarium with its great visibility.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts