Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT Tour CVT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey - just picked up my 2014 Forester XT this past weekend, and I am finally getting a pretty good handle on the Nav/ Radio system.

The one problem I have not solved, is trying to make calls using the contact list in my iPhone, while the car is in motion. As soon as I stop, this works great

Did they really disable this feature while the car is in motion? Do they not realize that people (me included) will take their eyes off the road while they dig out their phones to use that to start a call?

Are there any hacks, etc, that will disable this "feature"?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
I would try using voice commands.

See page 294 of the navigation manual which came with your owners manual.

Should be able to push the voice command button, say "Call Mom". It may ask for a subgroup of Home/Mobile etc...

I have not tried using this yet, but that is how it should work.

·
Registered
2014 FXT Touring CVT
253 Posts
Hey - just picked up my 2014 Forester XT this past weekend, and I am finally getting a pretty good handle on the Nav/ Radio system.

The one problem I have not solved, is trying to make calls using the contact list in my iPhone, while the car is in motion. As soon as I stop, this works great

Did they really disable this feature while the car is in motion? Do they not realize that people (me included) will take their eyes off the road while they dig out their phones to use that to start a call?

Are there any hacks, etc, that will disable this "feature"?

Thanks,
Jason
The workaround for me was to add to my favorites and that will at least let you browse/call that particular list while in motion. However, I have not found a way to browse/call all contacts while in motion.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Lim CVT
282 Posts
Use the voice prompts, it works great (at least with my Android).

Hit the voice button
Say handsfree
Say Call Mom Mobile
Say yes when prompted

The whole point is that you should not be fiddling with a touch screen while driving.

·
Registered
2014 FXT Touring CVT
253 Posts
Use the voice prompts, it works great (at least with my Android).

Hit the voice button
Say handsfree
Say Call Mom Mobile
Say yes when prompted

The whole point is that you should not be fiddling with a touch screen while driving.
Tried this today and it worked with my iPhone 4! I feel kind of silly but I had no idea the Handsfree function was that simple. Since I have my Speed Dial list setup I was able to use this as well. Either way it works perfectly!

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
46 Posts
I was actually pleasantly surprised by how well the voice command works. I use it all the time now. Takes a little bit with all the confirms, but in my city it's actually illegal to text/talk/anything on your phone while driving. It's a huuugggeee pain. But, I understand the reasoning: ticket revenue! Haha. You thought I was going to say safety didn't you?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts