Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I have an '04 Forester 2.5XT with a CD player and DVD player. The on-screen audio source options are CD, DVD and MP3.

When I place a DVD full of MP3s into the DVD drive and select MP3, it tells me there's no disc. This leads me to believe that MP3 only uses the CD player as the source device, thus limiting me to ~700mb of MP3s.

Is it at all possible to use my current setup (no additional/replacement hardware) to read and play MP3 DVDs? Clearly the system supports the MP3 file format, as well as being able to read DVDs, so I'm hoping there's a way to combine the two (Firmware upgrade? Super secret Konami style code?).

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
404 Posts
How do you currently navigate the songs on the CD? I'm just wondering if reading DVDs (at least back then) required different lasers or read heads as there were different DVD formats between pressed movies, DVD Audio, DVD write-once, rewritable etc. Even back then not all DVD drives could read all types of DVD formats (wasn't there a +R vs -R format?). You could bet your house the car manufacturers would have pretty limited hardware in this regard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I navigate the songs with the touch screen. I'm shown a list of files/folders and tap onto what I want to hear or the folder I want to navigate into. Standard stuff.

You do bring up a good point regarding +R and -R. I've been trying -R DVD's since they were (and still are) the more common format, however this drive may have gone the +R route. I'm going to have to find some +R's to test. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A quick update to this.

I just tested with both DVD-R and DVD+R and both don't work. I tried in both the DVD and CD drives (just to be sure!) and tried all of the source buttons on-screen (CD, DVD, MP3). Still nothing.

*sigh* Oh well. I guess my original question stands.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A CD can only hold roughly 700mb of data, while a DVD can hold 6 to 7 times more than that. It would basically allow me to listen to a huge amount of music without having to switch discs.

Unfortunately I don't have a USB drive in my head unit, and I don't want to replace it. I already use an MP3 player hooked up to an FM transmitter, which is fine, but I'd prefer to use the DVD drive since the audio quality is going to be better than a wireless transmitter, and it will free up my car power outlet.

·
Super Moderator
35,485 Posts
You listen to more music than I do. :wink:

We have all our music CD's ripped to MP3. We burn the MP3 album to a CD or make a MP3 mix CD.

With the USB, really no need to use DVD as the smallest USB drive I've found... small flush mount, made to plug into the front of the head unit, is 1 GB.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
220 Posts
being your unit has cd and dvd the firmware for the dvd might only play dvd's with dvd or dvd-r format. if you have literature for the unit and it says it's only capable to play dvd that's why. dvd's would have multipal files like the video_tps and VTS_01_1 and those sort of files.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts