Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a good back-mounted bike rack for me and my wife's bikes. We don't have a tow hitch and don't want to mount on the roof because it would be too difficult to access.

I found the Thule Raceway 9001 and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with one. It seems fairly secure for a "trunk" mounted bike rack. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

edit: Thule Raceway 9001, not 9003.
edit 2: It has a factory spoiler.

·
Registered
2011 Outback
1 Posts
Thule Raceway

Hi there
I have a Thule Raceway 9002 (3 bike carrier) for my 2011 Outback. Like you I do not have a hitch rack and I did not want the bike on the roof.
The Thule Raceway has been a good purchase for me, it is very secure and does not loosen as you drive down the road, just make sure that you lock the rathet when you are done installing to ensure it does not loosen (this may or may not be necessary but I do it for my own piece of mind).

The anti-sway attachments keep the bikes from swinging into each other or the vehicle, the only issue I have noticed is that on some full suspensions bikes, mounting can sometimes be a challenge to secure depending on placement of the rear shock on the bike.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Manual
1 Posts
Thule Raceway fits Forester with rear wing

I wanted to avoid roof mount bike racks because sure as anything one day I would drive into my garage with the bikes strapped on top. So went to local bike shop and tried the Thule Raceway 9001 (2 bike) on my 2010 Forester XT. The bike fellas were dubious and the Thule fitting guide only describes fitting to Forester by sitting the rack on the rear bumper, which would mean the top cables wrap over the wing so not an option, but I had an idea it could be done differently. This smart looking rack can be arched over the rear wing, resting on the top of the door just forward of the wing - a few inches of door metal is available to comfortably accomodate the upper foot of the rack. With the rack cranked over to position number 9 the lower foot sits on door metal just a few inches below the glass and is nicely shaped so it straddles the raised Subaru badge. The top cable then runs almost horizontally, just above the wing, with its rubber end cover just touching. Although this looks like protection it would probably scuff the paint in short time so will permanently stick some clear Contact plastic at those points (works well - used this on my motorbike for years) and also where the hooks wrap around the door edges if it will stick. For the lower mounts there is plenty of cable to reach to the bottom edge of the door. Used in this way the bikes are raised high enough to allow use of the rear hitch to tow a box trailer for family camp trips which is why I didn't want a hitch mount rack. Also raises bikes where they are less vulnerable to touch parkers! The rear door can be opened fully - although you'd want to remove the bikes as it would be a heavy lift - and the rear wiper can be operated. I am ordering the 9002 (3 bike) model and in Australia this rack is AU$350. It's pricey, and it's very similar to the Saris Bones series, but it is very well made and improves on the Saris by using cables instead of straps - which are lockable by key - and incorporates a locking device for the outer-most bike. The recommended max load is 105 pounds (what's that, 45kg?) but my only concern is whether the weight of three bikes bouncing around on a cantilever could dent the rear door. Guess I'm about to find out. Cheers all, Pete.

EDIT 2 days later.....Didn't proceed. The rack was fabulous but when loaded with 2 x 40 lb steel mtn bikes the door flexed. Under bumpy driving conditions the risk of significant damage is too great (at least while the car looks new!) on the rear door panel just immediately below the window. If you're not as particular as me, or have lighter load, you may still consider this rack - it's a very good product, and looks great on the car, sadly the Forester falls short.

·
Registered
2013 forester limted pkg 4 cylinder
12 Posts
Thule 9001 Raceway™ 2 installation video

I know I'm a little late with the reply,but figure if I found the post,someone else might be looking for the same feedrack ? The Thule 9001 Raceway™2 fits great,here's a video showing the installation onto a Forester from Rack Outfitters. In reviews,some have said the rack dents,but I am not expecting mine to because I've watched the video,and reviewed other installation tips online.Like others,I am also not into a hitch setup given the urban center where people parallel park WAAAAY too close sometimes,boxing you in.As for roof mount,I don't want to lose the bike when entering a garage,or removing it in pouring rain.
Taken my aluminium alloy MTB out on bumpy roads now, no issue with the door. I do notice the cargo door with just the rack will require you to support it when open due to the weight on certain surfaces.Received many compliments as I leave the rack on the car for the season. I have used number 9 on the fit dial, which is for an Outback since the Forester wasn't listed in the paper directons for the 9001.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Auto
50 Posts
Have the Raceway 9001 (2-bike) and it's great... very easy on and off. THe cable attachment can't be compared to straps. THe cable ratchet is soooo easy to use and there are only 4 where most have 6 straps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts