Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2FXT Forester XT Limiteds 20104EAT 20044EAT
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting input regarding my suspension upgrades to my 2004 XT 4eat. I am purchasing KYB GR2s I want to retain stock height due to winter time snow levels here in western NY. I have 17x7.5" WRX alloys with 215/55/17 Conti Extreme Contacts mounted and I use a 5mm spacer in the rear to clear the springs.

Question #1. Should I stay with stock FXT springs (82,000 miles)? I don't think that the springs should have lost any "spring". And, any fatter spring would/might raise clearance issues. I do some spirited driving but don't auto cross or drifffffffffffffffft.

Question #2. I am thinking to move up to a better set of Sway Bars most likely WRX STI bars and mounts. Any better ideas? And, Endlink upgrades any ideas?

I'm doing this because stocker struts are making noises!!!!

Thank you all in advance... Rob

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Your struts are making noises....Sure it's not the top hats or something else?

Nice nick btw. Like Johnny Cash? :biggrin:

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The only real spring choices are the forester pink springs or swift springs, both lower the car about an inch.

You already have the same front swaybar as an STI. I'd throw either the 19 or 20mm STI rear swaybar on, its a great cheap upgrade that doesn't make the car any harsher or anything. The stock endlinks are pretty good, but the rears can be a pain to take on and off so you might want to throw on some kartboy rear endlinks (or just stick to stock, mine were making noise so I swapped them out)

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,705 Posts
Question #2. I am thinking to move up to a better set of Sway Bars most likely WRX STI bars and mounts. Any better ideas? And, Endlink upgrades any ideas?

I'm doing this because stocker struts are making noises!!!!

Thank you all in advance... Rob
If you do the STI sway bar mounts in the rear you really need longer rear endlinks or the sway bar can "flip" which can really destroy some of your rear suspension parts. The STI mount is about 1" shorter then the STI one so the sway bar ends up being 1" higher. You will need to source endlinks that are 1" longer. Also a 20mm rear bar has been known to break the endlink mounts off of your rear lower control arms.

Do some searching on these subjects and you will find quite a few good threads that come up with different solutions to these problems. Again if you lower it more then 1" then you shouldn't have any problems with flipping.

·
Registered
2FXT Forester XT Limiteds 20104EAT 20044EAT
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice!

Thank you.

I'm going to look into springs.... pinks or swifts. I'll have to check the OD on both to be sure that I won't have any rubbing on the tires otherwise I'll have have to retain stock springs which should be OK even with the miles (82,000). As I understand the KYB GR2s they will lower the Foz about 20mm without changing sprinks or am I corn-fused?

The noise that I get is a very audible CLICK when applying the brakes with moderate force at about 30-40 MPH. It's a one-time click seeming to come from the rear. I installed new rotors and pads 5,000 miles ago and this noise started about 500 miles ago.

I am planning to replace the strut mounts with STI mounts. And the FSB bushings with the newer improved bushings as per Subaru.

Regarding RSBs if I go with the 19mm STI RSB then there should be little chance of breaking the mounts. Is that reasonable? I should upgrade end-links as well.

Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts