Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 forester at
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Forester.........I have read about the head gasket issues and sure hope Subaru got it corrected in 2002 as claimed. Is there any suggestions about additives to the coolant like I once used in a Caddy that I think was supposed to neutralize the acid? I believe Suby suggested using a sealer to the coolant at one point, but I've never loved those products, although I've read that Barsleak is perfectly safe and has been widely used by even some factories.
What mileage and age do I need to have the timing belt/water pump replaced? is this something that s/b done only by a dealer?

Thanks, George

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,576 Posts
I've read where the head gaskets are still failing on later nonturbo Foresters. :frown:

As a precaution, have the coolant serviced on a regular basis. Use the recommended Subaru coolant + the recommended Subaru coolant conditioner. :wink:

The expensive & critical timing belt + associated parts maintenance is every 105K miles or 105 months. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2010 forester at
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...

I was warned the gaskets may still be an issue. Sorry I dont have the book, what time/miles interval are suggested for changing the coolant, and are the Subys picky about the brand?
Do you think the timing belt is something best left to a dealer?

George

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,576 Posts
The coolant has to be Subaru approved. My Subaru dealership... to my surprise, used ShellZone coolant! Plus Red Line water-wetter & Subaru coolant conditioner. The ShellZone coolant isn't a recommendation, just what my Subaru dealership used. :icon_eek:

Some members do their own timing belt maintenance, which will save you money. Other's have it done by a Subaru dealership or independent shop. I wrench on my vehicles for fun & when it's not fun, I let my trusted shop do the work.

You can see what parts are required for the critical timing belt maintenance here on Jackie's, SubaruPartsGirl's sales thread. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,086 Posts
I inquired about this for changing the coolant (Super blue) is in my last car, an '08 STI and the email reply stated that Subaru's coolant conditioner should still be added when the coolant is changed.

The conditioner is a stop-leak, not an acid neutralizer, ad far as I know. The coolant itself is basic, and should remain basic even up to the point of replacement.

I plan to change the coolant in my new foz per the manual, with Subaru coolant and conditioner, and nothing else.

I would not add RL Water Wetter to coolant. It has its purpose and addition to a mixture of coolant in a daily-driven passenger vehicle isn't it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts