Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer delivered our 2010 Forester with the tires at 42 PSI all the way around. I lowered them to 34 front, 32 rear and car drove better. Just had it in for a vibration and they returned it at 44 PSI all around. Is there any reason they would do this on purpose? Make my tires wear out faster? Or prevent complaints from TPMS systems from owners who can't stand topping up tires once in a while?

The car really drive better (unladen) at the lower pressures. I usually experiment a bit with a new car and generally run tires slightly harder than the door sticker, but 40% or more over seems extreme.

Thanks!

Thomas

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
308 Posts
Tire over inflation is SOP at many dealerships theses days just to keep the TPMS nanny from coming on when the tires are cold. Bad practice, but they get really tired of calls for "my yellow '!' light was on this morning and now its off, what's wrong with my new car already.":tissue: So the pre-delivery routine is 40LBS of air, bad ride and poor tire wear be darned. My 2009 had 40lbs in all four tires and it had been on the lot 11 months.

·
Registered
2007 Forrester
33 Posts
I had the same issue when I got my Pontiac. They come overinflated from the factory. I assume to prevent flat spotting the tires during shipping when the cars are strapped down. Or sitting in the lot for long periods.

·
Registered
2010 FXT 4EAT
86 Posts
That or the low level mechanic who does the "off the truck" PDI work set the tire pressures to the maximum tire pressure on the side of the tires.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks everyone, pretty much as I suspected, keep the government's tire sensor happy regardless of effects on drivability, safety or tire life.

Thomas

·
Registered
2010 Forester
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far, the dealer service department does not appear to listen or perform very well. They had the car for four days to install a hitch, the full set of cargo nets, a hood air deflector, the WRONG cross bars for the rack (wanted round, got aero, so I have to go back), splash guards, body side molding and to change the rear view mirror for the Homelink one. That looked like less than two days of work to me. They were also supposed to fix some vibration that felt like an out of balance wheel which they claimed took a day, then returned the car with the vibration being a bit worse. They had hissy fit about my Expedition Exchange Alligator Double Seal Valve Caps so I told them to take them off and put them in the glove box and they weren't there when I got the car at closing on Friday. I suspect they are now gracing someone else's car until I raise heck on Monday.

I bought from the closest dealer (the sales guy was first rate and gave me the car for invoice from an email request and there were no hassles or surprises) but I am starting to think hard about driving a bit further to check out the next dealer's service department. I could have bought from them, but they didn't want to commit to a price before locking me in a room with a closer and I hate that process.

Sorry for the tirade, but I was a bit ticked by the end of the week. If I had wanted to drive a Toyota Camry (that's the loaner I had) I would have bought one instead of the Forester.

Thomas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts