Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2014 2.0 XT Touring
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,
I am a recent add to this forum and have a (dumb) question. I have done some searching around multiple forums, but have not found a clear answer to this question. Are there any Foresters out there with the 2.5L naturally-aspirated FB motors that did not have issues? I am looking at a 2011 2.5 N/A - still has the original motor w/ approx. 140k on the odometer. So far, the Private Owner, the Dealership (where it was serviced), and my mechanic brother have "confirmed" that the engine in this Forester does not burn the typical 1 Qt per oil change, no head gasket issue, and no overheating. I have read so many negative comments about this new chain-driven motor and it's issues w/ Subaru replacements, short blocks, etc. - just wanted to know if I am crazy to think that this one will not succumb to the same fate. Thank you!
ULB

· Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
2,345 Posts
It's made it this far and gotten a clean bill of health. Go with what is in front of your eyes. I got one at the end of October with 156,000 miles. If it's clearly been driven and looked after, that is what you are looking for in a used vehicle.
I think I have read a lot of the same posts about oil consumption, and some of it I think gets a bit overblown. From everything I have read, it can be controlled by moving to a heavier weight oil. Its only the US and Canada that they spec 0w20, everywhere else its 5w30 and 5w40 in Australia where they report no oil consumption problems with the same engine made in the same factory.
And regarding the mileage, I like to think that an 8-year-old engine that has had something like 20 or more dealer visits and oil changes in that time is better than a low mileage one that did short trip duty and got the oil changed once a year. As long as you keep an eye on your oil level weekly, and top off as needed its not a big worry for the engine.

· Registered
2014 2.0 XT Touring
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Quadraria10 Thank you for the reply! I do agree with your points as well. With all of the chatter about short block replacements, warranty extensions, etc. - it is tough to figure out if anyone with an '11 Forester did not have major issues. I am hoping some other folks from the form toss in their $0.02 as well because I would love to gather just a bit more feedback. Thank you all!

· Registered
2014 2.0 XT Touring
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@adc I have read a lot about that online (and in this forum). My question is really: have any users owned an 11/12/13 with the FB engine and not experienced those issues? Or were 100% of those motors faulty? I realize the risk in buying any used car but the information online makes it seem like every single one blew up.

· Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
2,345 Posts
They blew up if they ran out of oil. All engines will burn some oil, however, some will burn more than others. The key is to regularly inspect your oil level. The short block was not replaced on mine, nor on the one you are looking at, and not on most of them.

· Super Moderator
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
4,177 Posts
I have read a lot about that online (and in this forum). My question is really: have any users owned an 11/12/13 with the FB engine and not experienced those issues? Or were 100% of those motors faulty? I realize the risk in buying any used car but the information online makes it seem like every single one blew up.
Keep in mind that a Subaru owner with a problem is much more likely to join a forum like this than a Subaru owner without a problem.

· Registered
2020 Forester, 2021 Crosstrek
1,932 Posts
Are there any Foresters out there with the 2.5L naturally-aspirated FB motors that did not have issues?
There is absolutely no way to answer this question.

Or were 100% of those motors faulty?
Of course not. Think about what would happen if that were the case. The vast majority are out there running fine.

Also, the vast majority of owners are not on forums.

Yes, certain years are more likely than others to burn oil, but making the leap to 100% being faulty is just silly.

· Registered
2014 2.0 XT Touring
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@sneefy I appreciate your thoughts. Based on the responses to this thread, I would argue that my question has been answered - that there are 2.5L N/A FB Foresters that did not experience the oil issues mentioned above.

My whole intent of this small thread was to confirm those suspicions. Simply reading about this topic online (and having spent a short period of my life as an auto mechanic) I was lead to believe that every single one of these motors was faulty. Thank you for commentary.

· Registered
2014 2.0 XT Touring
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Mr_Bingley Thank you! This thread has successfully helped to change my mind on buying a Forester with the FB motor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts