Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5-Speed Manual
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never in my life owned a car with anti-lock brakes. I researched the Forester pretty carefully before buying my 2001 S, but didn't realize it is supposed to have abs. The abs light does *not* come on when the ignition is first turned on, the way the air back, oil, etc. lights do. My mechanic checked and the car is supposed to have abs. It never occurred to me to check this out when I was shopping for the car. So... any most likely causes for why my abs would be out? It may just be the bulb, I guess?

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
Thanks, Elmy. I am not a terribly mechanically-experience person. Does this involve taking apart the whole dash?
Nope. lower the steering wheel and look up under. there are 2 screws for the plastic cover. the lower end site by some metallic clips so you just have to pull it out. After that. the instrument panel got 3 screws. loosen them and you kinda have to twist and turn it a bit to get it out far enough to unhook the cables and then more twisting and turning to get it out between the dashboard and the steering wheel. All the bulbs are in these plastic sockets on the backside that you turn 45 degrees or less to get out.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Try pulling out the ABS fuse, as that will cause the ABS light to turn on. Any problems also cause the ABS light to go on, so its usually fine if the light is off (unless its burnt out).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts