Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oooh, I get to populate this part of the forum with some information!

I just installed Sony CDX-GT200 head unit. I know, I know... not exactly one for the audiophile, but I wanted something that played MP3 CDs and has a front panel input jack. For $129, I'm not complaining.

Anyway, the hardest part was pulling off the trim panel around the vents.

The next hardest part was deciphering the diagram from Crutchfields that shows how you disconnect the climate control ventilation cables.

And now the part that involves a tip: the cable for the antenna is too short! The Subaru receiver has the antenna jack on the left, but the Sony has the jack on the right. I could not maneuver my hand around the back and plug in the antenna. I suppose I could have run out and bought some sort of extender. Instead I removed the glove compartment (which I knew how to do from replacing the cabin air filter), reached around and plugged in the antenna from the rear. Hey!

Other tip of the day: with a bit of trimming, you can put a CD spindle in the flip-up compartment above the dash board and store a couple dozen CD's (without cases).

·
Registered
2013 XT
1,686 Posts
Great write up! Thanks...

Questions for ya. I have an 05 FXT. The 6disk changer is nice but I miss my old mp3 player I had in my old car. When you put your new cd player in what do you do with the extra space? Or did you not have to worry about that? The 05 has a head unit that about 4inches tall. The new player is about 2in tall. So how do you fill in the gap thats left?

·
Registered
2013 XT
1,686 Posts
Awesome. Now I might just go the mp3 player route.

Hmm. Its got me thinking about what else could fit in an empty DIN space. Could a standard size gauge squeeze into that area?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts