Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember some thread on this topic on the old site. I guess I'm going to contribute to its resurrection.

My driver window sounds like it does not go up quite far enough, like it's always cracked open. So you hear constant whistling wind in your ear. It is spoiling the car for me- everything else about it I love. I almost traded it in on a Tacoma today. But the other attributes of the car have endeared it to me, I'm very reluctant to get rid of it.

It would be silly to trade it in for just this one thing, I realize. But I have OCD or something..

Anyways, I guess I could take this to the dealer and get jacked for like $500 and replacement of stripping and who knows what..

OR.. is there a way to adjust the window/mechanism to go up a little more?

I am mechanically and electrically skilled enough to do this at home. I just don't want to start ripping things apart without asking first.

One wierd thing- the wind noise goes away if I press out on the window when I am driving! It gets dead silent- like Subaru meant it to be, I'm sure.

Thanks devoted members,
-mike

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
The window gusset rubber is worn or out of shape. That's the triangle shaped piece in the front the outside mirror attaches to. I had this on my 90 Legacy and took me 2 yrs to diagnose, temporarily fix then finally fix.

To verify this is it, with the window rolled up, put a piece of tape, I use duct tape, between the rear rubber of the gusset and the lower front leading edge of the window. Be sure it seals the crack between the glass and gusset rubber. Then take it for a test drive.

Final fix is to replace the gusset. Subaru now stocks these. Back in 92 when I first needed one, I waited for weeks.

Now how to prevent it from happening again.....when closing the door, use the door or handle itself, do not close the door by pushing in the glass. After my 2nd replacement on that 90 Legacy, I learned that and never replaced another, at least on my car, again.

End of my $.02

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
Biggest contributor to this problem is using the window itself to close the door when the window is in the raised position, so I was told by my dealer.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gusset

My driver window area must be a real case. I did identify noise coming from the gusset. This was REALLY bad, compared to how it is now (noise from top of window like it's rolled down 0.01 % of the way).

I could put my finger on the gusset from the inside and the gusset howl would go away. I found that there are two metal ribs in the gusset holding the rubber. I bent these ribs so the rubber is pressed closer together against the window when it rolls up. That fixed the gusset noise (dealer wanted $200+).

But I still have noise, though like I say, it sounds like its coming from the top, not the noise that went away when I messed with the gusset.

Is it possible that this top-origin (i think) noise, is actually the gusset still?

I guess I am going to have to head to the dealer and get some answers. Hopefully they know what they're doing.

I don't have many options here in NE Kansas. Olathe Subaru, or maybe Kansas City Subaru.
We'll see.

Thanks for your help, forum members.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update - problem fixed

It was the gusset. I had only fixed part of the noise. Now I have fixed it 100% (with tape, as suggested in one of the above posts)

Now to figure out a permanent fix.

Wow, it's amazing how sounds inside a car can seem to come from somewhere else. I could have sworn it was coming from the top.

But it was the gusset 100%. Wow, what a difference!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
I have the same problem but i don't quite understand Ferret's post on where to put the tapes.
Any pics? someone plz?

thx

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Yeah, this is my problem too...but I don't remember using the glass to shut it b/c I use the door since forever ago...but maybe in the beginning I did...who knows...thought about getting new aerodynamic mirrors and doing the front window fix that Peaty posted on scoobymods. Probably dynamat the crap out of the car at some point as well to make the cabin more quiet. At high speeds my car is a howling banshee! :lol: :lol:

I will try the tape and see what my suby mechanic friend says about it.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
985 Posts
window question

The Subaru salesman told me that it is more expensive to mfg'r doors without frames around the window like Subaru. Apposed to all other cars that have a frame around the window like Toyota. Does anyone believe this? What is the benefit for Subaru to make the doors without the frame? I can only think it is cheaper for Subaru, i.e. less metal, easier to handle, move store, install.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think they're harder to get aligned, etc. I was also told that given the frameless windows that they could make the door frame stronger (i.e. with more metal and larger cross section) without adding weight to the vehicle. This might actually be true... or not.:)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
home gusset fix

To the previous poster with the question: where to tape?

It's the plastic thing the mirror comes out of- where this meets the glass. With window down, there is an empty slot there. The window goes up and fills the slot when the window is all the way up. Where the plastic meets the glass, put tape. After taping, resist urge to roll down window.

With my gusset, I only had to put a 6" strip of black electric tape on the outside side. This eliminated 100% of problem noise. But only temporary, because you can't put window down (it will go down, but makes a mess, pulling tape into crack)

The home fix:

The problem is that the slot space is widened by wear or distortion, and wind whistles through. There ends up being a gap from the glass surface to the gusset edge. I have filled in this gap by putting 3 layers of black electrical tape inside.

I'll try and post a pic but no guarantee I can.

The tape has been holding up well and you can't see it. It has saved me from having to buy another gusset for $250.

So far, the fix is a week old. Today we are having a "wintry mix" which will be a test of this fix's durability.

I imagine a more permanent, better fix would be to use epoxy or resin.

I don't really like these frameless windows. They are only nice when you have the window down. Then there is no window in the way when you are getting in/out of the car. But who rides with the driver window down? Forester is not a good car for driving with driver window down at speeds about 40. Major wind tunnel to the face.

Also, the window is rattly inside when the door is closed window down. It does not feel solid when I shut it.

Other than the weak stereo and this wind noise problem, I find the Forester to be an absolutely amazing all-round vehicle. Handles great for a tallish AWD wagon, decent power, good MPG on regular, versatile. When you can't afford a 4WD truck and a sport sedan both, this is the best compromise.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Feret is right on with this one.
I had this same problem with wind noise and figuring out where it was coming from.
I just had mine replaced this week (by dealer) and it cost me $140 installed.
Alot for the repair, but the car was in for its first new set of brakes and I figured they might as well do that to since they have the part in stock and the car for the day.

Dom

·
Registered
44 Posts
noises: wind and road

My '01 Forester L is noisey, too. I've had the dealer work on the driver's side wind noise; he charged me $24 and the wind noise was better for a while... now it's back. I've tried bending the triangular gusset inward to make a tighter fit but it didn't help.
On the other hand, I've had pretty good sucess drowning road noise. I put Dynamat behind the front interior door panels and under the rear seat (there is absolutely no insulation under the rear seat from the factory!). That helped a lot and cost about $60. Then when my wife gave me Rubbermaid floor mats for the front and back (Target sells them) I noticed an even bigger reduction in road noise. The mats are made of heavy rubber and they muffle lots of noise. I really believe the mats are a better bang for the buck than the Dynamat.
Is this a new forum? I thought I'd been here before but I had to register to get in.:confused:

·
Registered
2004 X
1 Posts
McZero
Thanks for the tip. I have just purchased my first Forester, an 04 model and the wind roar was driving me crazy, I was about to go to a Subaru dealership and see if there was a problem with the door/seal. The noise was only on the drivers side and you were spot on with the fix, I just put a 6" lenngth of pvc tape on the gusset to the window and the problem is solved. I will sort out a more permament fix but at least we have a temporary cure and the problem is identified. Thanks again from the land down under!

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
98 here. The gusset noise can be solved by simply clamping together the sides of the gusset (there is metal embedded in the the rubber, so it will keep its shape - for awhile, at least). Do not overdo it though - the glass should still come up without much friction. If the noise returns - repeat the above procedure.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,785 Posts
Biggest contributor to this problem is using the window itself to close the door when the window is in the raised position, so I was told by my dealer.
I was tempted to duplicate the window noise problem with my new 2008. It is strangely quiet at speed, especially with Michelin Primacy tires.

I was going to open each front door with the window raised, then hold the glass by the corner and shake the doors back and forth many times.

I figured that if done hard enough and long enough, the treatment would duplicate years of opening and closing the doors by using the windows, It would loosen the window channels inside the doors, and bend the gussets by the mirrors, to relax the pressure of the windows against the seals. Then my Forester would have a proper wind noise level.

Now if only I could do something about the muffler to get the burble noise back.

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
243 Posts
sorry i didnt read thru all the post except first.but the noise does come from the mirror gusset seal spreading apart.this happens from the door being closed by the door glass and not the handle.to fix lower the glass and squeeze the 2 rubber sections that look like a inverted taco shell closer together.wind noise fixed.as for the height.you must take of the door panel and adjust the 10mm nut slides to let the window up more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts