Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another statistic...Dying EJ25***Video Inside***

Yup!!! Today I decided to change the t-belt tensioner hoping it was the culprit giving me that rattling sound. Turns out to be a piston slap break-dancing in the cylinder.

To top things off, I noticed a trace of oil on the driver side head. Head gasket is shot AGAIN. :furious::censored: I changed them in April of 2007.

Oh well, I guess i'll beat it to its death!!!!:lol:

A little montage of the engine slowly dying!!!

car stuff :: DyingEJ.flv video by huck_this - Photobucket

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Repeated HG failures can be from as you know, warped heads and or block deck. Also can be from head bolts stretching. Time to replace them?

Yes all the information out there supports that Subarus head bolts are not stretch to torque, thus reusable. How ever that does not mean they can not be stretched, making them useless. The only way to know would be to measure their uninstalled length and compare to your installed set.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
270 Posts
I hears Subaru re-designed the head gaskets to fix that problem.

Can you go to the racer aftermarket and get some of the dead soft solid copper head gaskets for that motor? Get ones with a greater compressed thickness, they would do a better job taking up slop in non-flat heads and deck. Has the engine ever severely overheated? if so heads may be warped.

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am starting to wonder if an oiling problem is occuring. I am running synthetic for 4 years now. As we know, the properties of synthetic is different than regular dyno oil. Oil is the barrier between the rod bearing and the crankshaft. If the oil is to light, the rod bearing during the compression stage will actually be able to touch the crankshaft. Another words, the compression forces are higher than the hydraulic forces, therefore the rod wins and the rod bearing takes a beating.

Its the rod on #4 cylinder that crapped out. That's why i think there is a problem. Oil is pumped from the front to the rear.

Lots of 2008 WRX are spinning rods too!!! From what I gather, the AVCS system needs higher pressure/volume to send more oil through the system. They have a bigger pump, but is it big enough???

Here are what mine look like at 137 000 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts