Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it snowed again....out of nowhere. Woke up this morning to my pup needing out, and found 4 inches of fresh powder on everything. So me loving snow, called into work, and head out to my favorite off-roading adventure spots and had some fun. This time, I mainly focused on video moreso than pictures. Below is a YouTube video of my day, along with some goofy narration. I was VERY impressed with the way the Foz handled itself off-road, especially in the slick stuff (even with bald tires).

Although, the day was not without incident, it was still by far my most favorite. I stayed out off-roading from 9am to 5pm....drained an entire tank of fuel, and managed to bang up the car a little.

My first incident was within the first 5 minutes of me driving in the snow. Pulled into a parking spot, slid on ice and lightly tapped a fence post. The light bar just buckled into the bumper. Was more embarrassed than anything, but oh well, stuff happens.

So since my front bumper is a little dented up from the light bar, I decided not to be so gentle with it off-road this time. I primarily off-road in what I like to call an "ATV Fun-Park". This place is made for ATV's, but cars can fit too. It's just a ton of trails, bowls, jumps, ruts and arryos to play around in.

The first part of the day had about 4-5 inches of snow on the ground. Sliding around on the snow is quite fun, and the Foz had no problems being able to be thrown into controlled slides. As the day went on, more and more Jeeps, Bronco's, and Land Rover's started showing up to play in the snow. I was the first one out there, so I had the whole place pretty much tracked out. From the people who were showing up in big, lifted SUV's and trucks......they were sure giving me odd-looks being out there in a Subaru. Then I found one guy with a lifted Bronco and followed him around. He would climb a hill, and I would follow suit. He was extremely impressed with the capabilities of the Subaru and said that he would have never guessed it was able to do any of that. My Foz even climbed a hill (that is shown in the video) that no other vehicle that day could get up. After that, they all started to respect the Foz a little more and had nothing but kudos to say in regards to it.

So the day wore on and a lifted, Jeep Grand Cherokee got stuck in the mud around 4pm or so (in the video as well). When I left around 5pm (when it got dark) they were still there trying to pull him out of the mud (the same mud I went through earlier in the day, might I add). He was dug in deep. I offered shovels and some time to assist, but he was good and stuck in very sticky, clay. Still don't know if they got him out or not, guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Other than ripping off my front-right fender lining, mudflap and trim piece, all went rather well. This was the first time I actually sustained damage on an off-roading trip. It was nice that it was only plastic that can be re-attatched and not something mechanical. :icon_eek:

But to be honest, it was TRUELY an eye-opener as to what the Foz is capable of. I've NEVER pushed my car so hard as I did today to climb hills and keep up with the so-called "true" off-road machines. In fact, it surpassed many of them that were out there. There was this Chevy 2500 Duramax with aftermarket goodies that came out to play and was only digging into the ground. He was having a hard time just driving around in the soft sand without digging in. After he dug in a couple of times, he waved me by, and I passed him. As I did, he had a "really!??" look on his face as I treaded easily through the same stuff he was having a hard time getting through. Made me chuckle a bit. :biggrin:

Here's the VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OExDQXR8Y-4

And here's a couple of Pics, the last one of the Jeep that was talked about in the video, as well as getting VERY stuck in the clay....

·
Registered
04 Forester XT Rinspeed manual 5 speed
740 Posts
Great video!

Nothing similar on youtube i guess :)

and all this without a lift or good tires :woohoo:

think about what you would be able to do with a lift and AT tires :discomonkey:

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
Great trip! Yeah I also found you can do alot in crappy balding all season tires when I started exploring hunting trails. The only trouble I found was getting high centered on some snow after jumping a snow drift lol.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
486 Posts
Nicely done friend. Wish I had my own to play with, tired of asking the wife for permission :raspberry: But we're going to Georgetown on friday to have some fun on the frozen lake, can't wait!

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that vid was awesome! imagine a subtle 1" lift and some real tires! im amazed @ how well your car handled those conditions. im guessing its auto?
Yep, I've been thinking of that lift. Though, I'm sure my struts are now spent. They work fine, but the front end rattle that I've had for a few months is now worse, and the steering feels more loose than it did before. Which is sort of good news being that I can finally figure out really! it is and fix it for good.

I was really surprised how quick that snow melted. >.>..
Yep. It snows in the morning, and by sunset, you would have never known it. That's the way snow is here in NM, here for the morning, gone by the evening.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RE: Do you keep the shift to 'D' or '2' to best drive in such condition? Don't want it to upshift unnecessarily and kill momentum.
I use 1st and 2nd, depending on how much power I need. For the steep hill climbs, I used 1st. For getting up mild snowy or really slippery slopes, I used 2nd.

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S" 4EAT
315 Posts
Now that was just to cool, with balding tires yet, I am still working on getting my first fozzie, but I am amazed sometimes what my legacy wagon can do in the snow.

btw do the foresters have skid plates under them? those where some steep hills, but it looked like it cleared them fine.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Now that was just to cool, with balding tires yet, I am still working on getting my first fozzie, but I am amazed sometimes what my legacy wagon can do in the snow.

btw do the foresters have skid plates under them? those where some steep hills, but it looked like it cleared them fine.
No skid plates just plastic dust covers,total crap.
You can get skid plates for them(Subtle Solutions or http://get-primitive.com/ both very good options) or make them if your handy. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f139/skidplate-44391/

Highly suggest them if your gonna play off road.

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S" 4EAT
315 Posts
thanks for the Links, the 1" lift kits look pretty simple, those would be for sure on my wish list.

skid plates look pretty easy to make also.

Now I just need to get my harley sold,so I can get me a Fozzie.

·
Registered
MY08 Forester 2.5XT
101 Posts
I use 1st and 2nd, depending on how much power I need. For the steep hill climbs, I used 1st. For getting up mild snowy or really slippery slopes, I used 2nd.
That explains my failed attempts attacking mud/clay here with 'D'. Very disappointed when it stuck the moment I entered it. I remembered clearing it with generous throttle and the shift in '2' without much problems in my earlier offroad session. 1st will create too much wheel spin and that's bad for mud. That will be good at attempting steep hills like in your video.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.