Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
RESTRICTED Member
2004 Forester XS 5 speed manual
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happened;

So on Wednesday morning I get ready to leave for work I start the foz, turn the wipers on to get rid of the morning dew, roll the windows down real quick, and then I pushed my glass heater button to defog my mirrors and back window. About 2 seconds after I pushed the button, I heard a loud crack. I didn't see anything so I just shrugged it off thinking it was maybe an empty plastic bottle or something contracting in the cold weather. After I got to work and the sun came up I could see what really made the sound... the wiper blade heater had cracked the windshield all the way from the passenger side edge to the middle of the drivers side and then it sent the crack upwards further into the window!

I called the Subaru of America headquarters customer service and explained, nicely, what happened and that I'm going to be getting deployed on Monday and asked if there was anything they could do. She sounded unsure if there was much they could do seeing that my car is FAR out of warranty and there are so many variables with glass damage, but she instructed me to call my insurance and see if they will cover it and that she will call me back the following afternoon and let me know if Subaru can do anything for me.

So I called Geico and of cores they would cover it since I have full coverage, but there would be a $500 destructible... so I waited until I got a call back from Subaru to see what they would say.. and sure enough Subaru pulled through! They offered up to $500 towards the repair!! So I called the local Subaru dealer to see where I can get the glass replaced and 2 days after my glass got cracked, it's getting replaced... FOR FREE!

Thank you subaru,
Another lifelong customer

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
3,006 Posts
....and then, there's some good news about SOA!

That's great and thanks for your service, Dickie.........as usual, while the crooks, oops, I meant politicians, put on their street theater, you guys (and ladies) keep plugging away, doing the right thing.

God Bless You!

Steve

·
RESTRICTED Member
2004 Forester XS 5 speed manual
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
....and then, there's some good news about SOA!

That's great and thanks for your service, Dickie.........as usual, while the crooks, oops, I meant politicians, put on their street theater, you guys (and ladies) keep plugging away, doing the right thing.

God Bless You!

Steve
Awesome!! Customer service goes a long way!

Be safe on your deployment!
thank you both very much :)

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
60 Posts
They did this for a 9 year old car? wow.

I'm always scared to use that wiper heater when it's -20 or worse out and you actually need it... seems like a perfect recipe for a cracked window with the different temperature extremes. Is this common to happen?

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS 2.5L Manual
15 Posts
i live in Montana and a month ago is was (literally) the coldest place in the world that week, even more than Antarctica (technically summer there but still) at -35. just from the heater in my car and it being so cold outside, my window cracked pretty bad. I might try and see if they'll do this for me. i have full coverage also. worth a try i guess

1 - 8 of 8 Posts