Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished up my version of the SG mesh grill. No body putty is required just dremel cutting time and finishing. If one were careful I would think it could be done without repainting. Cut line was determined by existing bezel screw landings(top), crossbars (side) and curve (bottom). It's too cold to wash the car right now (28 degrees F) so please excuse the dirt. :)

edit: updated to "without repainting", and cut line information
edit: washed car, added new images and thumbnails.
 

Attachments

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
What kind of mesh is that? Did you get it at Home Depot? How do you attach the mesh to the grill?

Can you spell GREAT JOB? :)
 

·
Casper reincarnated
Joined
·
2,246 Posts
Very nice!

I like your handiwork and the mesh itself TAGXT04
 

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aleksey said:
What kind of mesh is that? Did you get it at Home Depot? How do you attach the mesh to the grill?

Can you spell GREAT JOB? :)
Thanks for the kind words. I used eBay aluminum black mesh. The space is quite large so I picked up a piece 8" x 36". The paint is Duplicolor T177 Gunmetal.

The sides and top are held in place with the same screws that secure the chrome bezel. The bottom connections are made with small zip ties looped through the lower snaps where the chrome bezel also mounts. I also found that a rubber bushing for a faucet makes a nice "nut" to hold the badge in place.




 

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
Joined
·
2,921 Posts
Darn nice job, man.....

I got a grill off eBay for Christams so I'm getting ready to start the custom work on it myself.......

I really like your result.......

Steve
 

·
Premium Member
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
Joined
·
909 Posts
TAGXT04 said:
Thanks for the kind words. I used eBay aluminum black mesh. The space is quite large so I picked up a piece 8" x 36". The paint is Duplicolor T177 Gunmetal.
Any ideas what we could ask for if we were to search locally (eg Homedepot) for the mesh? That's an awesome looking grill!
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Excellent work, have been thinking about that mod for my toy, sweet look to it, and nice and tough.
 

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GeorgeofSacramento said:
TAGXT04 said:
Thanks for the kind words. I used eBay aluminum black mesh. The space is quite large so I picked up a piece 8" x 36". The paint is Duplicolor T177 Gunmetal.
Any ideas what we could ask for if we were to search locally (eg Homedepot) for the mesh? That's an awesome looking grill!
I tried Lowes and the Depot but the pre-cut mesh is too small as is gutter mesh. Someone mentioned "bulk" mesh that might be used for stucco work but I never asked.

See the eBay mesh that I used here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Universal-Car-BLACK-body-kit-Mesh-GRILL-GRILLE-10X36_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33645QQitemZ8029015731
 

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
Joined
·
9,051 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sirwilliam said:
Wow, I was so impressed that I ordered mine "Pay Now" for $25 bux shipped.

Just curious...it looks like you are holding it on at the top by screws but how are you holding it on at the bottom?
See the last picture with the small black zip ties looped through the snap connections.
 

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
Joined
·
9,051 Posts
TAGXT04 said:
sirwilliam said:
Wow, I was so impressed that I ordered mine "Pay Now" for $25 bux shipped.

Just curious...it looks like you are holding it on at the top by screws but how are you holding it on at the bottom?
See the last picture with the small black zip ties looped through the snap connections.
Thanks...got my zipties and ziptie gun waiting for me at home :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,131 Posts
sweet grille TAG-

i'd like to check that out in person sometime- Hopefully some meets will be set up in PGH this year-


good work,


_d
 

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GarageXTi said:
sweet grille TAG-

i'd like to check that out in person sometime- Hopefully some meets will be set up in PGH this year-


good work,


_d
The local Subaru guys (mostly from nasioc) get together the 1st Wednesday of the month at Quaker Steak and Lube (QSL) in Robinson. I'm sure I'll be there on February 1.

Tom
 

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
Joined
·
9,051 Posts
Well,

Finally got my grill mesh in. Got home last night and started to do what I think will be my final grill mod. Well, I got my dewalt highrpm circle cutter tool (like a dremel on steriods or a viking dremel) set w/ a cutting blade but it just melted the plastic. It doesn't have a speed adjustment...it is just set from the factory at ludacris speed.

So what did I do, I took out my utility knife...you heard me right...and I went to work. Well I got most of it done last night...got up this morning and finished w/ the cutting of the utility knife. It was a little rough around the edges so I sanded it down. I put on the new mesh and it looks a LOT better. Haven't decided on the final front badge and still need to get a couple final coats of spray paint on the trim but it is on the XT and looking sweet!

I will post pics when I have time...but moving the mesh forward really has a night and day affect on how good it looks. :wink:
 

·
Recovering Modaholic
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
got mine done over the weekend, looks super!!!! thanks for the tips! I'm gonna get pics as soon as my new emblem gets here :D

I used masking tape to mark my cutting line and dremmeled (sp?) away! I went through about a dozen cutting wheels, including the ones used for cutting the wire mesh ($30 APC mesh insert from pep boys...damn rip off!)

on a side not, a metal supply company locally has steel mesh sheets for 1.98 /lb and they come in all diff designs, honecomp, round, square, diamond shape. they were closed this weekend and I was just anxious to get it done so I bought the pep boys aluminum insert.
 

·
Recovering Modaholic
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
edit tool not working :(

edit:
the dremel cutting wheels melted the plastic while cutting but i was able to break the melted parts off with my thumb. I did this by pushing them towards the cut side, not the finish side, doing this prevented any need to repaint. it looks totally custom the only painting I had to do was the mesh insert.
 

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DOHCammin said:
edit tool not working :(

edit:
the dremel cutting wheels melted the plastic while cutting but i was able to break the melted parts off with my thumb. I did this by pushing them towards the cut side, not the finish side, doing this prevented any need to repaint. it looks totally custom the only painting I had to do was the mesh insert.
Good tip about the masking tape. I knew someone could do it without repainting! Looking forward to some pics.
 
1 - 20 of 109 Posts
Top