Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Forester with a GPS. I recently updated my GPS to the latest and greatest. Yesterday I had to goto the VA in Seattle. It took me 2 hours to go 8 miles after I got off the ferry. I was using my GPS and it sent me all over the place instead of using the freeway. Then I decided to go from Seattle to Tacoma (35 miles). The gps took me to I5 (8 lane freeway). Then it routed me off I5 to everyplace but I5 (we actually went over I5 on bridges 2 times). I5 was a mess but was moving between 30 and 70mph. The gps, apparently, decided that I5 should be used as little as possible. I went into the gps settings and could not find any settings as to types of roads to use (I could have missed the setting). Anyway, this was pretty bizarre. Incidentally, after we took every possible byway, for about 30 miles and 60 traffic lights (this trip took about 3 hours) it then decided to route us back onto I5 for the last 2 to 3 miles.

So, anybody have a solution to this?

Thank you............

·
Registered
314 Posts
Happens all the time with everything from Waze to GPS units with out of date road files.

I've been using different GPS units since the days there was error built into the signal. The best policy is to have an understanding of where you want your route to take you. That comes from zooming out on a very detailed GPS screen, or better yet a paper map. People who rely on algorithms to get them where they want to go will find themselves upset or worse.

But then, what do I know. I only setup 7 to 10 day 2,000 to 7,000 mile motorcycle rides offering participants GPS routes to follow.

Read the bottom sign, which was added because people kept believing the directions their GPS unit was offering. Stupid mistake.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
You didn't update the GPS but the digitize map layout. When you use a static navigation system it is only as good as your latest corrected, verified map data which is usually about two years old. As said above you should have familiarize your trip prior to heading to VA Clinic/ Care facility.

This is what I usually do prior to driving along unfamiliar travels. I first setup my WAZE system (dynamic navigation system) making sure to use the roads I prefer ( scenic route with a lot less traffic or highway and get there faster) then I look at different routes and finally set my navigation system. Then I do the same on my vehicle's system which I finally establish the route. This way I determine if my in vehicle navigation system will have the updated roads and if this will be my best option. Most of the time I will run both systems while driving and make dynamic decisions on the fly.
Note: I have been doing this a lot since VA decision to use Community Research facilities since my diagnosis of Synovial Sarcoma of the Larynx.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

I too have been using these things for a very long time - always preferred garmin which always had clearcut road options which this doesn't seem to have. I have noticed that Subaru controls are not exactly user friendly due, I expect, to increasing complexity. This time, however, I cannot find an option for roads even thought it kept me off I5 for the most part. I also turned off the traffic thing as it kept giving me false traffic problems that didn't exist. I will continue to figure it out. Also probably need to read the directions on the system yet again.

When I first got this car the gps used to send us to parking lots as destinations a lot but we reinstalled and got that one fixed. I have also seen that there may be alternate maps available that may, or may not be better. I will stick with the Subaru stuff assuming they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been studying the documentation and testing different commands. I think I know what happened - basically something got turned on that should not have been. The problem is that the documentation on this one is really bad. My initial assumption, about change route Avoidances, was that listed avoidances were things that we being avoided and not might be avoided. Clicking on one of these items selects that item, clicking on it again, does nothing - it remains selected.

There some change route avoidance settings of interest. One thing they never explained was that the change route avoidance settings does NOT list things that are set but, rather, things that might be set. There are no indications that things that might be set are actually set. As far as I can tell the avoidance settings are the only ones like this, the rest have check marks. So, if you are dealing with "avoid special sections" you will get a list of things that the system assumes are special sections. If you click on one of them you will be shown a little make with the original route shown and then the new route with a little "accept" button on the bottom of the screen. The colors are different for the proposed change and the old route. My error was 1)not understanding the various items in the avoidance section were existing item in the route itself. I think I now almost understand.

I also found out that change route Avoidances, once set for one route will be automatically selected for future routes! This one is sneaky (be careful)! I have no idea how to turn off this but I suspect its buried in there somewhere. What happened to me is that the first route got I5 freeway selected (don't remember doing that but, sometimes, I start pushing buttons <sigh> Anyway, when I entered a second route that route also avoided I5. I have also found out (I think this is right), that if you restore an original route it will magically get rid of ALL change route Avoidances! As far as I can tell this is the only way to do that. All in all change route Avoidances remain somewhat of a cipher.

I just read the above and its almost as confusing as the real documentation. If anybody reads this and find that I am flat out wrong about this stuff PLEASE let me know!

I should add that I have owned this car since the end of 2017. I have studied on the manuals. They are pure drek (full of information one must skip around for. One thing refers you to a different page which, in turn manages to refer you someplace else until it becomes blah, blah, blah. Unless they have improved their documentation they should really hire somebody who understands writing documentation and do it right. I think the error was that they hired somebody who really understood the system and hadn't a clue about documentation and dummies such as myself.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ah, operator error.

GPS preferences can get you into as much trouble as anything. Riding a motorcycle I want every lonely twisty road possible. In an auto I want the fastest route possible, even with tolls.

Frankly, I find the system in the 2019 so much more user friendly than our 2016.

·
Registered
4 Posts
.... [manuals] They are pure drek (full of information one must skip around for. ..... Unless they have improved their documentation they should really hire somebody who understands writing documentation and do it right. I think the error was that they hired somebody who really understood the system and hadn't a clue about documentation and dummies such as myself.
I had the same problem with the manuals of another Japanese company, Toshiba, for a proprietary computer system which controlled the production system in a chemical plant with several extremely dangerous chemicals. Maybe there is a significant difference in the culture and thinking process between the technical writers and the users.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
manual

I spent a long time going over the documentation for navigation. After several readings the information is actually there. The problem was in organization. Its a bit tricky. I can remember, back in the 70's the manuals from Japan were REALLY messed up. This time its not all that bad but pretty frustrating. They would probably be wise to give their manuals to a couple of teen age native english speakers, ask them to read specific subjects and then see where they went wrong.

Anyway, I think I have it figured out.

Thank you for the replies!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts