Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a pic of my 06 FXT with Forester Sti Suspension take offs.
Got these from Simon (Psi3) yesterday when he got his AST's fitted. I also had a Whiteline 22mm ARB put on at the same time

First impressions are that it's not as big a transformation as perhaps I had hoped. Ride is pretty much unchanged, perhaps a bit firmer. Turn in is sharper and handling around the bends is pretty neutral. Better than before but not huge. Drop is quite subtle, would like another cm or so really..

Unfortunately the car still doesn't feel as connected to the road as I'd thought..still feels a bit floaty and not so planted..

I believe there is a STi pink springs upgrade for the oem Fsti struts ? Does anyone have any info on these ? - might try some next..

If not I shall have to put some coilovers on the shopping list for later ;)

Here's the car..
other mods on included the PFF7's / Prodrive Brakes / Subaru sports grill / Bugeye Sti Scoop

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Clean ride man.

I have the JDM forester pinks on stock struts on my X. They feel much better than the stock. And they lowered my stance an inch or so. If you can pick them up they should compliment your suspension nicely...

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Every time you post a picture, it's looking better & better!

Any chance of a side shot to see the drop more clearly?

Ian :)

·
Mr. November 2008
2015 BMW 335d xDrive GT Auto
969 Posts
I wonder if the floatyness is due to the gearing of the steering rack ?

The STi one is fixed rate and faster than the variable rate FXT one - somebody will be along with the numbers very shortly I'm sure...

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you could be right on that actually - was at the back of my mind...

..should have just saved up a bit longer and got the Sti I think ;) :D

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
karma mechanic said:
I wonder if the floatyness is due to the gearing of the steering rack ?

The STi one is fixed rate and faster than the variable rate FXT one - somebody will be along with the numbers very shortly I'm sure...
I've got a WRX STI rack in mine and it certainly makes a big difference in steering feel (although I've got a complete WRX STI suspension as well with all the trimmings). The STI rack is 13.2:1. Something interesting is that the Forester XT steering universal joint has a big chunk of rubber bushing in it. The STI u-joint doesn't, however, it can't be converted over because the STI piece is a bit shorter and won't work...I tried since this came with my used STI rack. I picked the rack up for about $300 and I've seen them cheaper on e-bay. Might be worth a thought. At minimum you should do some of the other things like whiteline steering rack bushings.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Bartop said:
First impressions are that it's not as big a transformation as perhaps I had hoped. Ride is pretty much unchanged, perhaps a bit firmer.

Unfortunately the car still doesn't feel as connected to the road as I'd thought..still feels a bit floaty and not so planted..

If not I shall have to put some coilovers on the shopping list for later ;)
Looks great though. This was my dilemma also as I too was looking at the FSTi takeoffs at one time. I think that when a car is designed for some off-road capabilities that it will always be a compromise. It's too hard to control a lot of travel on the road as well as the changes in alignment that go along with it. Maybe with some super stiff long travel struts but then it would compromise the off-road capabilities.

I would go the STi takeoff route to see if they give you the height and control that you seek. Or coilovers which is what I did.

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
The car looks great...nice job!! Nice to have local access to Forester Sti donor cars! After dropping my car on the WRX Teins H-Techs, I can tell you that not having the clearance has already made it impossible for me to drive back into one of my local mtb trail-head parking lots. Now I have to drive around to a sketchy back access point where I can park and worry about my car being vandalized!!

It truly is a compromise situation with this car. You can make it handle a lot better, but not without dropping it to Sti type ride-height. Even dropped, I don't think my car feels crisp enough, and as mentioned I am certain this is due to the steering rack. For those that want the car to feel like an Sti this will be an important add at some point downstream.

I have often wondered how a set of DMS 50mm coil-overs set high would work on the Forester? Too much money to be a test mule thats for sure!!

Again nice looking car!!

Jeff

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
N10S said:
I have often wondered how a set of DMS 50mm coil-overs set high would work on the Forester? Too much money to be a test mule thats for sure!!
Jeff
My budy has those on his ralley car. After riding in that thing all I can think of is my first expenditure after I win the lottery is going to be a set of those for my SG... :twisted:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts