Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
01 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in the "wait and see" phase of the 01 Forester's ownership (S, 136k miles). Going on four years now, and sofar no major headaches. Great vehicle, looking at '10 and '11 as replacement, but trying to hold onto this one so we only have one car loan in the fam at a time (mine right now).

I've done alot of the little "fixes" (PM for details)
- Resolder overhead clock
- 02 sensor fix to get CEL to shut-off finally
- Window switch fix for both front switches to get windows to roll up again
- Got engine to stop consuming coolant (used Stop Leak - the one with the pellets in the bottle). Could smell AF after driving before fix.
- Late shifting, esp. when cold (changed A/T fluid and filter. HUGE difference).

NOW there's a new smell - oil burning. A quick look under the front reveals a leak where the splash shield is wet, and also the cross member, and the heat shield of the exhaust is too - right where the pipe comes down and starts to go back (my guess is that the oil is burning off of that heat shield, causing the smell). After all this babbling, here is my question.

Have you guys tried any additive that has worked for you to stop the oil leak? Call me lazy, but I'd rather pour something into the engine than remove the splash shield, hose down the engine, and monitor the leak - all at the risk of finding something that I won't be able to fix. Valve cover gasket, yes. Main seal/rear seal, no. I was amazed how the cooling system responded to the stop leak. Hopefully there is something someone has tried that will work on oil leaks, too.

Thank you.

P.S. How much fun is it to replace that huge timing belt? What mileage did yours need it?

·
Banned
2000 Forester L
315 Posts
It sounds like your head gaskets are going. From what I understand the SOHC 2.5 will consume coolant inernally and leak oil externally but seldom mix which is good for us.

Timing belt intervals are 105k miles. Mine had great records and the previous owner did the head gaskets, TB, water pump and, cam seals all at once so I should be set for quite some time.

·
Registered
01 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure its not just a CV boot ripped thats throwing grease everywhere?
I've actually seen what that looks like - replaced the passenger side axle 2 years ago. It's definately motor oil, dripping into the lower splash shield and getting flung onto the exhaust shield during highway driving. Smell comes after slowing to city driving/ shutting off Subi.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts