Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry guys but there is a swathe of information and no accurate way of sifting using the search facility. Also as this is a modding page as well I am having great difficulty finding info on standard parts!

SF5 MY01 S Turbo factory spec.

I am looking for direct replacement standard pads (F&R) and discs (F). Who can recommend what please? I am a Sunday driver (mostly!)

Plus what's this I have heard of a brake servo 'frame' that stops the master cylinder moving about?

Any particular things I should know with the SF5 to replace above parts? Is rear handbrake on seperate drum?

Be succinct, I can take it!

cheers

Mike

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
I would ring Alyn (pm stockcar from on here) some good deals

or

Godspeed Brakes and speak with Ian, again good deals on pad and discs

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
I have been trying these from Alyn

and so far so good

£100 delivered, but for 4 pots

·
Registered
2004 WRX PPP Wagon Manual
153 Posts
I had a quote from Ian at Godspeed for OEM size front & rear grooved discs and kevlar pads all round £195, that is for an 00 SF5. There is a group buy on Scoobynet until end of April.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for advice everyone :)

are SF5 MY01 discs and pads same as classic or newage impreza..?

sorry to ask basic questions, never touched the brakes until now!

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
thanks for advice everyone :)

are SF5 MY01 discs and pads same as classic or newage impreza..?

sorry to ask basic questions, never touched the brakes until now!
It will be the same as a classic. If the brake caliper look like this
you have 4 pots otherwise you have 2 pots (more likely)

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
Have a look here for fitting instructions and yes hand brake is on a separate drum
Where's the separate drum for the hand brake? I thought the hand brake opperated in the usual way on the drum built into the rear disc.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never knew that, cheers Si. Would have presumed CG but hey! thanks mate.

·
Premium Member
2006 Impreza WRX with PPP Manual of course! ;-)
1,522 Posts
Mike,

Mine's a late MY01 SF5 and I got EBC disks (D728) and red stuff pads front and rear, but the rear pads needed were "new age" rather than those quoted in the EBC catalogue... The part numbers for the red stuff rear pads were DP31293C rather than DP3821C, which means they're the same as the Impreza ones I believe, rather than the Forester.

I'm pretty happy with the pads, but the disks have rusted very quickly.

HTH

Simon

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Simon

Thanks for info. I suspected there would be a difference between early and late SF5.

Nice one
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
I suspected there would be a difference between early and late SF5.
Unfortunately, I only discovered once the car was up in the air and the "right" pads didn't fit!

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Yes the front brakes on 01MY are totally different to 00, oo are old 2 pot impreza 277mm disc, 01 is 294mm disc with different 2 pot calliper with different pads (while GD Impreza GX used the same pads as 00 SF but 294mm discs, go figure!

Simon

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Simon, this topic simply highlights the "if it ain't broke, let's fix it" philosophy that Subaru seem to employ across their entire range of vehicles!

Nice to see you've reached the requisite number of postings that guarantees entry to Lucifer's lair :)

mike

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
"Posts: 6,666"

Scary...

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mike,

Mine's a late MY01 SF5 and I got EBC disks (D728) and red stuff pads front and rear, but the rear pads needed were "new age" rather than those quoted in the EBC catalogue... The part numbers for the red stuff rear pads were DP31293C rather than DP3821C, which means they're the same as the Impreza ones I believe, rather than the Forester.
Simon, can you give me the dimensions of the discs both F & R please, as I am having probs tracking down the right part...

According to the 'manual' for the '01 Foz, they should be 277 x 24 F and 266 x 10 R (see attached).

But the manual is wrong on a couple of (unrelated) things so far :icon_confused:

Thanks mate

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Simon, can you give me the dimensions of the discs both F & R please, as I am having probs tracking down the right part...

According to the 'manual' for the '01 Foz, they should be 277 x 24 F and 266 x 10 R (see attached).

But the manual is wrong on a couple of (unrelated) things so far :icon_confused:

Thanks mate
Mike, 277 x 24 (the fronts are wider as they're ventilated) and 266 x 10 is right.
Simon

1 - 20 of 25 Posts