Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

Our 2009 Forester XT engine just conked out after 11000 miles. Same story as others... knocking sound started, then started stalling and then the engine light came on. When they looked in the engine, they found metal bits in the oil pan. Subaru is telling us that it is under warranty and that they will fix the problem; not sure yet if that will be rebuilding the engine or replacing it. The VIN on the car is in the 725000 range and we purchased it in late August 2008. Not sure what date it was built - it's in the shop.

Here are my questions... do I just let them do whatever they recommend, or should I be insisting on a new engine? What else should I demand? Extended warranty? Anything else? And, has anyone had success with a buy back? Also - for those where Subaru has "fixed" the problem - is it really fixed? Have you had any further problems?

We have a one-year-old daughter who rides in the car all the time - so I am particularly nervous! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Check out the Problems, Maintenance and Warranty Forum. There is a sticky about the turbo stop sale on certain XT models with VIN number ranges, etc. It hopefully is one of those that slipped through the dealership before the order. I'm sure Subaru will take care of you regardless, there are a number of posts in there about new engines being installed and no further problems. Sounds like a problem Subaru caught early and did the best to keep the customer happy, sounds like it's worth asking for an extended warranty anyways even though you'll probably never need it. If you're happy with your Subaru before this happened, I think you'll be happy with the response they give you. Keep us posted as to your progress.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Demand a new engine and 100K engine warranty. Sloppy QA in a japanese factory?! - what is the world coming to? NO excuse for these engines getting out the door from FUJI - NONE. I worked as an materials QA manager for the past 4 years in automotive and Aerospace supplier; In house sampling procedure were not followed.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
What exactly was the problem with these engines? Was it the crank bearings? Or was it the connecting rods? Been trying to figure out the exact sequence of failure.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,212 Posts
Demand a new engine and 100K engine warranty.
You can demand all you want and I probably would. But be advised..if you look at the warranty its up to them.

My 01 Nissan Sentra auto-tranny went t1ts up after 1100 miles. In site of my protests it was replaced with a factory rebuilt one. Its been perfect. So if they give you a factory rebuilt one I wouldn't complain. They actually get more attention tnan new ones off of the line.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
What exactly was the problem with these engines? Was it the crank bearings? Or was it the connecting rods? Been trying to figure out the exact sequence of failure.
NASIOC - View Single Post - 2009 Impreza WRX motor issues

^ I don't know that we'll ever know what's truly wrong.

My dealer said that Subaru wanted the old block back, so they can't do a tear-down, but they say that the above is indeed Subaru's official line, and yes, we also did get a new longblock.

---

Here are my questions... do I just let them do whatever they recommend, or should I be insisting on a new engine? What else should I demand? Extended warranty? Anything else? And, has anyone had success with a buy back?
^ They should be replacing the longblock - i.e. "new engine" - outright.

Not only is this Subaru's official stance, but it should also be easier for them (the dealership), too, as they can avoid the lengthy rebuild process on your failed block.

Ours is a lease, with the lease period ending prior to the expiration of the comprehensive bumper-to-bumper (my wife's a bit hard on her car - lack of mechanical empathy; so although I maintain the car, religiously, just as I do my own, we still like to lease hers, if our finances allow it).

If this had been "our" car, I think I would have demanded more - at least a comprehensive extended warranty. But as this is a lease, as as there's really never been anything else wrong with the car (we had our left outside rearview mirror's interior clip replaced, as it was vibrating at-speed), I think that given that the engine swap was done with sufficient technical merit, everything should be just as good as before. Certainly, they (Ganley Subaru, Bedford, Ohio) took nice enough care of us during the down-time, our salesman came out to make-good, both when I dropped off the car and when I picked it up, and it was a no-questions loaner of an '09 2.5X Permium (which my wife wrecked, BTW, after which the dealership paid for the tow, and then put us in an '09 VW Jetta 2.5 [fun little car!], as the Subaru Service of the "twin" dealership was closed on that weekend day).

Short of giving you a new car, they should be treating you like royalty - that's what Subaru mandated of this problem, for their dealerships, which is evident in that post above.

There's one case here, as subieoutlaw said, of someone who got a WRX in an outright trade, but he's in Canada:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f62/goodbye-forester-xt-57066/

- and it seems that his vehicle would, with its other repairs, have qualified under our (Stateside) Lemon Laws, should your State have them.

There's also been one case on LegacyGT.com, of a *very* early (2 days, approx. 250 miles on the ODO) failure on a 2009 SpecB, where the dealership simply manned-up and gave him another new SpecB, as an outright replacement.

I have not kept-up with this issue on NASIOC, so I don't know what others have received, with their particular complaints.

Best of luck! :smile:

·
Registered
2009 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses! Still waiting to hear from Subaru on the repair plan. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Reads like Machining/grinding/turning/drilling particulate in the oil passages in the crank were not rinsed out. I cant imagine anything visible outside the part would go un-noticed on the assembly line. Would cause massive bearing scoring and junk in break-in oil.

·
Registered
09 FXT on e85 AT
478 Posts
I have a my 09 fxt edm, 24,000 kms and no prob (praise God) . I'm also currently reflashed with Ecuflash (vf52, 650 cc DW and avo v2 tmic) As a precaution, I did get the sti magnetic drain plug that was issued and put on the magnet in my oil filter. (cant remember the brand) Not sure if all this helps since we have an aluminum engine block. But I suppose the bits come from the rod?

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
^ You're not out of the woods, yet, brother - there are reports of failures at nearly 30K miles. :frown:

And although the drain plug should likely help you *diagnose* that a problem may be occurring, it - or the filter magnet - won't do any good in terms of either prevention or cure of this particular and specific issue. :frown:

OK, that was pessimistic and grim...and I can't leave you like that.....

Given the fact that you've already pushed your car so much, with the bigger turbo, the tuning runs, etc., I almost wonder if that would automatically push you out of the need for any further concern. One would almost think that if your engine is affected, it should have already blown, given the higher demands you've already placed on it.

^ That, of course, my brother, is me being optimistic.

I guess the best we can all do is to pray for the best, and just be prepared for the worst.

·
Registered
2009 Forster XT
1 Posts
My Engine failed 2 days ago...same symptoms as yours.

Subaru is replacing my engine with a "new" one this week. I was assured the problem with production was resolved prior to me ordering the car, Liars.....
The car only don 37000KM.

Anyhow, I will be getting rid of it as soon as possible, very disapointing as I had a previous XT and loved it.

I also have young kids and would be very nervous as well.

Well done Subaru :-(

Hi all -

Our 2009 Forester XT engine just conked out after 11000 miles. Same story as others... knocking sound started, then started stalling and then the engine light came on. When they looked in the engine, they found metal bits in the oil pan. Subaru is telling us that it is under warranty and that they will fix the problem; not sure yet if that will be rebuilding the engine or replacing it. The VIN on the car is in the 725000 range and we purchased it in late August 2008. Not sure what date it was built - it's in the shop.

Here are my questions... do I just let them do whatever they recommend, or should I be insisting on a new engine? What else should I demand? Extended warranty? Anything else? And, has anyone had success with a buy back? Also - for those where Subaru has "fixed" the problem - is it really fixed? Have you had any further problems?

We have a one-year-old daughter who rides in the car all the time - so I am particularly nervous! Thank you!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
382 Posts
Am I to surmise from some of these posts that there have been engines blow up that were outside of the STOP SALE VIN numbers originally posted by SOA and if so, does anyone know which VIN numbers?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
382 Posts
Subaru is replacing my engine with a "new" one this week. I was assured the problem with production was resolved prior to me ordering the car, Liars.....

Anyhow, I will be getting rid of it as soon as possible, very disapointing as I had a previous XT and loved it.

Sorry to hear this, do you know what the last 6 digits of your VIN are and would be so kind as to share that information?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
60 Posts

My cousin also had his replaced around that mileage, if it'd happened to me, I
wouldn't like it but won't mind it either cos after 30,000KM+ I can get a brand new engine.:woohoo:

Don't dare to do anything to my engine now in case something like this happen and have the warranty void, mine had only done 10,000KM.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
382 Posts
My cousin also had his replaced around that mileage, if it'd happened to me, I
wouldn't like it but won't mind it either cos after 30,000KM+ I can get a brand new engine.:woohoo:

Don't dare to do anything to my engine now in case something like this happen and have the warranty void, mine had only done 10,000KM.
Do you happen to know what the last 6 digits of your cousins VIN are, I would appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts