Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do teh stock XT injectors flow enough for a DB TD05-16G? and if anyone is running this turbo, what were your IDC's? I'm looking to just bolt on a turbo and have it tuned but the nice thing about the DB turbos are the free rebuilds for life and the ability to upgrade later to an 18G.

I sold a brand new VF34 because I just wasnt comfortable running an IHI turbo so VF39/30/34 are out of the question.

Is there a TD06-16G available, non super 16G? has anybody got pricing on this?

·
Registered
05 XT MT
2,564 Posts
PM Jerry on NASIOC for pricing. I asked him the same question but I am questioning my dementia. I think the Super16 was ~$1495 so the 06-16G is of course cheaper with the Super only needing injectors (720?) AFAIK.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Aleksey has a TD06-16g and I have a TD05-16G. We compared dynos graphs and I have a bit over 10hp down low on him and he has about 10hp more than I do at redline. My stock injectors are fine you can look in the turbo tuning forum for my last log. Both Aleksey and I have had overboost problems so have the turbo ported on the hotside just incase before you put it in. I'm running a V8 IC and it's totally fine. On a cool day it's always cool to the touch even after a few pulls. Make sure you get a fuel pump. As for the big 16g, you might as well get a real 18g, it will run cooler. At least that's the explanation my tuner gave me. I may be upgrading to a 18g this summer.. =P Oh, big 16g and the 18g will need new injectors.

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ZuMBLe said:
Aleksey has a TD06-16g and I have a TD05-16G. We compared dynos graphs and I have a bit over 10hp down low on him and he has about 10hp more than I do at redline. My stock injectors are fine you can look in the turbo tuning forum for my last log. Both Aleksey and I have had overboost problems so have the turbo ported on the hotside just incase before you put it in. I'm running a V8 IC and it's totally fine. On a cool day it's always cool to the touch even after a few pulls. Make sure you get a fuel pump. As for the big 16g, you might as well get a real 18g, it will run cooler. At least that's the explanation my tuner gave me. I may be upgrading to a 18g this summer.. =P Oh, big 16g and the 18g will need new injectors.
I dont want to ugprade my injectors, thats the reasoning for the small 16. I've been throwing teh 18G and 16G back and forth for a while, knowing the super 16 and 18G need inj and maybe an EWG for the 18G.

are you running a catless DP? do you think smoothing out the wastegate a little would cure the creep like some of the STi guys do to the VF39's? I would like to prevent it from happening before I install the turbo

S

·
0 Posts
DOHCammin said:
I dont want to ugprade my injectors, thats the reasoning for the small 16. I've been throwing teh 18G and 16G back and forth for a while, knowing the super 16 and 18G need inj and maybe an EWG for the 18G.

are you running a catless DP? do you think smoothing out the wastegate a little would cure the creep like some of the STi guys do to the VF39's? I would like to prevent it from happening before I install the turbo

I may depend on the tune. An 18g can run with stock injectors, given the tuner tuning very conservatively.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I'll let you know more about the creep tonight after I do some logs. My new tune still shows a peak of 21psi but that could be a spike which my tuner said he can take care of. I think you should port the wastegate just as insurance. If done correctly there should be no negative side effects. I don't think you'll need a EWG for a 18G but you will need injectors. I'm running a catted downpipe. I have a TXS stealthback going to a STi axleback.

DOHCammin said:

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Why would you want a 18g tuned down to 16g levels? I'm sure the detuned 18g won't drive as well as the 16g.

sutter2k said:
I may depend on the tune. An 18g can run with stock injectors, given the tuner tuning very conservatively.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
ZuMBLe said:
I'll let you know more about the creep tonight after I do some logs. My new tune still shows a peak of 21psi but that could be a spike which my tuner said he can take care of. I think you should port the wastegate just as insurance. If done correctly there should be no negative side effects. I don't think you'll need a EWG for a 18G but you will need injectors. I'm running a catted downpipe. I have a TXS stealthback going to a STi axleback.

how's the boost creep looking now? I'm leaning towards a td05h-16g now vs. vf30/34/22, but boost creep is turning me off. Like others here, I'm trying to go the most affordable route, using stock injectors and a custom tune, with longevity/reliability. Is it necessary to get the hot-side P&P'd to avoid creep? tia.

btw, how much are boosting on the 16G?

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I think I'm still creeping a bit with the new map. I threw a P0244 the other night when it was 32 degrees. Apparently the 16G compressor loves the cold weather. I'm not sure if a TD06 would fix this. We'd have to ask Aleksey to beat on his car a bit while cold to see if he can throw a overboost code. The 05H is a hoot in the lower gears though. It spools hard and fast.

I don't know anyone that has P&Ped the hotside on the 16g with a sti or forester. If you want to try the 05h route, I would def have it P&Ped. For me. I'm going to be good when it's cold and just get a TD06H-18G in the summer. =)

Getting a used VF30 would probably be the most affordable route. If you have a AP already, get a 39 so tuning isn't an issue with the new cobb VF39 maps.

My target boost is 18.5 psi but I see a bit more and spikes of 20 psi.

ant927 said:
how's the boost creep looking now? I'm leaning towards a td05h-16g now vs. vf30/34/22, but boost creep is turning me off. Like others here, I'm trying to go the most affordable route, using stock injectors and a custom tune, with longevity/reliability. Is it necessary to get the hot-side P&P'd to avoid creep? tia.

btw, how much are boosting on the 16G?

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts

That was after 11-12 pulls and the IC was steaming hot. I think it could do better given time to cool.

DAMWAGN said:
What was your HP with the 05/16g?

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Not to sound like an donkey but I seriously thought the 05/16g would make close to the same numbers as the vf39. I thought they were about the same size??? your readings are at the flywheel right? Please, do not take that the wrong way. I may have just got my turbo's mixed up here.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Flywheel on a dynapack means at the wheel hubs. I have about 345 flywheel HP. The graph shows HP to the ground.

DAMWAGN said:
Not to sound like an donkey but I seriously thought the 05/16g would make close to the same numbers as the vf39. I thought they were about the same size??? your readings are at the flywheel right? Please, do not take that the wrong way. I may have just got my turbo's mixed up here.

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Great! I am happy with this set up then and I did not get my turbos mixed up!

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
If you go with a 05H, port the wastegate before you put it in. Maybe skip to the 06H. Aleksey has a 06H and his hot graph and my hot graph really show the differences in hotside characteristics. Our peak numbers were close but I made 10hp more than him early on and he made 10hp more than me at redline.

DAMWAGN said:
Great! I am happy with this set up then and I did not get my turbos mixed up!

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
yes, when it's 30-32 degrees I'm creeping even in 4th unless I turn manual boost controller for one full turn to the right.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Damn, you're even creeping with the 06H huh? I guess definitely port the wastegate before putting it in, Chris.

I've never thrown a overboost in 4th though. It's always 5th. Have you overboosted in 4th?

Aleksey said:
yes, when it's 30-32 degrees I'm creeping even in 4th unless I turn manual boost controller for one full turn to the right.

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
I want it to spool quick and come close to 300 hp. I would not have to change injectors with the 05 and would really only have to figure out what em to run. What are you running?

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I'm running access ecu (protune). I think Alkesey is running the same. My tune was by RiftsWRX and his was by PDX? The 06H is used with stock injectors also.

Quick spool, the 05H spools quicker than the 06H as can be seen if Aleksey puts up his hot graph for us. The spool is also controlled by how well the tuner tunes AVCS also. Jorge (RiftsWRX) makes multiple trips to Extreme Motorsports which is in your area.

DAMWAGN said:
I want it to spool quick and come close to 300 hp. I would not have to change injectors with the 05 and would really only have to figure out what em to run. What are you running?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts