Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
06 X
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody know how to remove the top panel of the dash? I have an incredibly annoying buzzing thats coming from the passenger side in front of the glovebox. Sounds like its coming from the defroster vent area. I've taken the glovebox out and it still there (somewhere between 3-4k rpm in second gear). I think it must be the retaining clips holding the dash together. Any ideas on how to proceed??
thanks.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT '05 6mt r180 Carbonetics 1.5w lsd
1,094 Posts
badbatzmaru said:
anybody know how to remove the top panel of the dash? I have an incredibly annoying buzzing thats coming from the passenger side in front of the glovebox. Sounds like its coming from the defroster vent area. I've taken the glovebox out and it still there (somewhere between 3-4k rpm in second gear). I think it must be the retaining clips holding the dash together. Any ideas on how to proceed??
thanks.
Another thing to look into is the shaft on the vent fan motor may have some backlash.

·
Registered
06 X
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, now the glove box is out. The vent fan motor and blade are out. The buzzing is still there. Its not the gauge cluster buzzing; I know that one well... this is coming from the passenger side in front of the airbag.

I want to know if the top panel on the dash can be removed. I think there must be some clips that are loose and resonating back there. Any ideas?

thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Could the source be something on the other side of the firewall in the engine bay? On my RX7, I went nuts looking for the source of a resonating rattle. It was from the cruise control servo in the engine bay. It seemed so obvious -- once I found it.

·
Registered
06 X
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought of this last night, but couldn't find anything yet. It seems like the resonance is much harder to hit when the car isn't moving (maybe thats just a psychological effect). But its hard to search for resonating pieces in the engine bay while in motion!:grin:

I now have most of the plastics off surrounding the dash. I have the vent fan motor out, the dash storage compartment out.. I still can't isolate it. Its driving me mad. Thought about just taking it to the dealer and telling them to fix it! But the resonance is definitely triggered by the note of my prodrive exhaust, and so I'm not sure they'd even care.

Anyway, I am starting to go mad over it. The rattle seems to come from the bottom of the A-pillar on the passenger side - right behind the dash under the defroster vent. its not easy to get back there is what I'm finding. I'd appreciate any ideas before I pull all my hair out.:Banane36:

·
Registered
54 Posts
You may have already tried this, but could you get this fixed under warranty?

·
Registered
06 X
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe. I didn't try yet. My car is a little louder than stock; my opinion is that the rattle is induced by the higher amplitude of the frequencies generated in the exhaust. Not sure if they'd cover it.

Anyway I just came from the garage, and I'm thinking this may be the plastic liners in the wheel well rattling so bad its getting into the cabin. (they and the stock skid plate are a little torn up from some offroad adventures, not to mention the missing clips)

I was able to get up under the dash and tackle a couple more suspects so I'm gonna go for a test drive. If the rattle is still there, I'm removing some exterior plastics.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Cruise Control Switch Rattle

I have a bad rattle in the cruise control switch, usually when I'm going at highway speeds. Does anyone have any suggestions on quieting this? I think that it is the little on/off button on the end of the stick because when I put my finger on just the little button the rattle stops, but it's rather inconvenient driving down the road with my finger on that button (although on particularly rough highways I've gone many miles like that because I couldn't take it anymore). Jamming bits of paper in there sometimes helps for a little while, but usually they fall out quickly, and don't seem quite soft enough to totally dampen the noise.

·
Registered
06 X
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a bad rattle in the cruise control switch
consider yourself lucky that you know the exact source of your ultra-annoying noise!!!

Are you still under warranty?? If its really easy to demonstrate on a test drive, I would take it to the dealer and try and get a new part.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Doh, I think I'm a few thousand over. I assumed it was probably a design issue rather than a defective part, anyone else experience this? If not maybe I can plead my case that it's always been broken.

·
Registered
2004 Forester SX
244 Posts
I had a little annoying rattle - took me nearly 6 months to find it. It was the slightly-loose ash tray door skin!

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
474 Posts
The rattle seems to come from the bottom of the A-pillar on the passenger side - right behind the dash under the defroster vent. its not easy to get back there is what I'm finding. I'd appreciate any ideas before I pull all my hair out.:Banane36:

@badbatzmaru did you ever figure this out?

I'm dealing with this exact rattle right now on our '99 S. The noise is clearly coming from below the dash cover, next to the firewall, in the corner just below the A-pillar. I've currently got the glovebox out of the car, but the noise seems to be greatly reduced without the glovebox.

With the glovebox installed any sort of irregularity in the road caused the rattle noise, without the glovebox it only makes the noise over very rough roads.

I will look around in the engine bay after work today and will poke around under the fender liner when I've got the chance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts