Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I thought of making something like this out of 2" black ABS pipe and see you can get some already made. Has anybody tried these standard ones with the Subtle Solutions Ashtray bezel? I was thinking it might help to make them more visible at a glance, but then a larger angle might be better?

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's not a hood (at least not my idea!)

the idea is to put the angled ring between the back of the gauge and flat mounting surface so it is more in-line with drivers' line of sight.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also, i noticed some gauges have a large ring that threads onto the body of the gauge. to get it to tighten properly you just use the "reverse angle" on the backside of the mounting panel, as long as there is clearance back there.

if you make from pipe you basically cut the pipe in two at an angle and then cut a short distance from that "square" to make rings and the angles would match perfectly.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,734 Posts
Just a reminder. The Subtle Solutions Ashtray bezel are very nice, I bought 2, but anything you place down there will be difficuilt to view. It could even be dangerous to view while driving! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a reminder. The Subtle Solutions Ashtray bezel are very nice, I bought 2, but anything you place down there will be difficuilt to view. It could even be dangerous to view while driving! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal
good point. the only thing i really want to view regularly is the tach. the oil pressure and temp are more to occasionally check engine or when towing to see how things vary and keep up with it as the car ages.

i think an angle ring will really help some and it looks like there is enough to get some angle - any is better than none. with dash-height gauges the angle would just be installed to point "left" at driver, but lower it could be installed to point both "up" and a little "left".

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
good point. the only thing i really want to view regularly is the tach. the oil pressure and temp are more to occasionally check engine or when towing to see how things vary and keep up with it as the car ages.
Exactly. You wouldn't want to put a boost gauge down there but it's perfect for oil temp/pressure, amps, water temp, or other type gauges that you only glance at once in a while. I have oil temp and pressure installed down there.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
You could use those angled mounting rings in a guage pod like Bobby did, then they would be more at eye level and angled towards you. Only downfall is you lose the dash storage compartment.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,734 Posts
I lifted this from the other thread. :wink:
View from the back, very clean in my opinion. I would mount them in the flip top lid on top of the clock/air bag light, not on the dash top, that would look hidious.
I prefer the OEM/factory POD, but this method of mouting these to storage cubby lid does show promise. The only issue I see is that the cubby swings up. The gauge cups will hit the glass, so the cubby will not open fully. As to the wiring. The cubby lid is double walled, so there is a possiblity that the wiring could be routed in that area. :smile:

As to using angle rings. Keep in mind it also angles the other end of the gauge, so make sure you have the clearance to use them. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts